Tranny Seal

jrod2423

Aug 15, 2011
Byesville, Ohio
ok so i had my car at the ford garage getting an oil change because they can do it cheaper than for what i can even buy the oil at any stores, anyways when they brought me the report on my car, it said my tranny was leaking fluid and they said it was my rear transmission output seal, now i really don't know anything on this, yet. So basically question is can i change the seal myself or is this a mechanic job?

• Sponsors (?)

The trans tailshaft seal. No, it is not difficult to replace. But if all you ever done to your car before are oil changes, bulbs..etc..small stuff...then this might be a little difficult. The seal they are referring to is the tailshaft seal where the driveshaft is attached to the transmission. The driveshaft has to come off in order to replace the seal. Also, the trans fluid will have to be drained before you remove the driveshaft from the trans otherwise you'll have a big mess of fluid spilling out the tailshaft...You should go and pick up a Haynes or Chiltons manual for 94-04 Mustangs. One of those manuals will greatly assist you. They have step by step instructions with pics on how to fix most things on your car.