Transmission and Suspension Mod Q's

psyco

Jan 4, 2009
Michigan
Well I got my 2006 Mustang GT Premium today. Fully loaded in Showroom condition with 7500 miles on it for $15000. This is better than my honeymoon with my wife. Anyway, I'm looking at doing some minor mods. I decided to start from the ground up and tackle the suspension first, followed by the transmission (automatic) and possibly intake and exhaust down the road. Not being much of a mechanic, I'm looking for suggestions. What has worked best for those of you who have done these upgrades? Especially the transmission. I don't want to go as far as replacing the trans but the I would like to beef it up some and make the shifting a little more crisp and responsive. As for the suspension, I have seen full kits for lowering and improving handling and I've seen where guys just do the springs. Any suggestions on brands and the best way to tackle these mods would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

First off, IMO, the first mods should be a tuner and cold air intake. I'd highly recommend a Xcal3 tuned by VMPTuning.com. Get a C&L or JLT cold air intake. It will wake up your car !! Justin, the owner of VMPTuning.com, makes some of the best tunes in the country. I wouldn't worry about beefing up your transmission unless you're putting down some big power. It will hold up just fine.

Secondly, suspension, how far do you want to go? I'd highly recommend Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts with a nice spring like the Steeda Sport Spring, Eibachs, or the FRPP springs. A "neccessary" mod to compliment this, in my mind, is an adj. panhard bar and maybe the brace. If you get wheel hop, go with a nice set of LCAs. I've got the billet BMR LCAs and couldn't be happier with them. Sway bars are a good mod, I've got the Steeda pair and they do the job. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks guys. I will definitely check out the suggested tune. As far as the trani goes I still want to reduce the slushy feel. Have not had much luck finding a solution on-line for that transmission though. I would have preferred to have a stick but I have some joint issues with my knees and ankles that make driving a manual transmission car uncomfortable. I have decided to go with the full suspension kit. No point in doing it half way. Checked out the Steeda and Ford Racing kit's. Sounds perfect for what I want to accomplish with the handling.

I am glad to see that the suspension is the first change you want to make. I've done just that on both my 2006 GT and a 1991 SHO I owned and am convinced that suspension should ALWAYS come first.

You may want to look into different tires. I find that much of the wobble from the factory was from those tall, narrow 235/55 17 PZero Pirellis. A lower profile summer only tire will immensely improve the feel of your car. If you aren't satisfied with the way the car behaves after changing the tires, it will be easier to isolate what component of the car you want to change next.

Anyway, as a previous post said, Eibach, FRPP, H&R, Steeda springs will all do basically the same thing. There won't be that much difference between any of those brands. Each may drop the car a little more or a little less, but you'll be happy with the ride any of those provide.

In my opinion, you should upgrade the shocks and struts at the same time. Tokico D-Specs are popular for their adjustability and FRPPs are popular because of their price. I am pretty sure that Koni also makes dampers for our cars, though I have yet to read about anyone's experience with them. An adjustable Panhard bar will be needed after the car is lowered as well, so that the rear axle can be re-centered. It doesn't really matter what brand the Panhard bar is (except make sure to stay away from Granatelli Motorsports). Steeda, BMR, CHE, and many others make them.

Thanks for the feedback. I've always felt that you need good handling so you can handle the power. I have noticed that little wobble with the stock tires. You guy's are helping tremendously. It's been decades since I've owned a car like this and the improvements/changes that have been made are remarkable. Tuning a car has taken on a whole new meaning from what I remember it being. The technology that's gone into these cars is amazing. I do plan on getting a tuner to handle the transmission piece and the later added CAI. On another note, has anyone noticed any distortion out of the rear window?