tuner, and cai

• Sponsors (?)

change your question to an SCT tuner and more people may respond. Most get that one.

But, the tuner has software that you download to your car computer that adjusts the factory settings to be more robust and get the power the factory took away for MPG ratings.

It is mainly used in conjuction with a Cold Air Intake. These 2 combos together can give you another 20hp and give your car the get and go and should have had from the factory.

Yep big difference in the response you get with xcal. Many deals out there so check um out. I got a Xcal 2 and DeMoulet CAI for $525 painted to match my car, check um out.

Attachments

• mustang CAI.jpg
    mustang CAI.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 147
right now i was just thinking about the k&n intake, im not sure about the tuner yet, i think ill just get that when i get that turbo kit that rygen has, cause one comes with it, plus i dont have a clue no how to use it lol. but for now im going to start with a k&n intake and then flowmaster exhaust

cardude99 said:
right now i was just thinking about the k&n intake, im not sure about the tuner yet, i think ill just get that when i get that turbo kit that rygen has, cause one comes with it, plus i dont have a clue no how to use it lol. but for now im going to start with a k&n intake and then flowmaster exhaust
I hope it's ok to post this link from another site, but look at what Justin got from similar mods you want and his Dynotune: http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25551

cardude99 said:
i dont quite understand how the tuners like the diablo sport ones work, what exactly is there purpose, how do u use them

o ya which is the best cai to getfor my 06 v6

This is a 2-part loaded question and I will try to keep the response to less than 500 words. :D

The exact purpose of a tuner depends on what you are doing. In the "old" days we had mechanical ways to alter air-fuel ratios, timing, shift points, etc. With the advent of modulated engine technology we now have different computer modules that control different aspects of the engine. The one that the tuner is used for is your PCM (powertrain control module).

With a tuner like SCT's X-calibrator & Diablo Sport's Predator you use it to flash or erase the factory settings in the PCM that control RPM shift points, Air Fuel Ratios, Timing, etc.

To use them you locate the PCM code (for the 05 - 06 Mustang it is located on the passenger side of the engine near the front of engine), locate the PCM hook-up and plug the little sucker in. When you get one, you will usually know what you want to do. In your case, let's assume you get that CAI. Unless it is an integrated CAI with increased MAF Sensor that compensates for the increased air to fuel ratio, you WILL need to retune the PCM to compensate for the added air. If you do not, you will want to get real comfortable with seeing the "check engine" light on. :p

As for which CAI is best for you, I guess you will need to first ask, "What am I trying to achieve with adding a CAI?" Your answer will then determine your next step. If you decide to buy a CAI, you will have to do the research, look at the pros and cons on each, review the cost compared to end result HP/TQ increases and make the end determination yourself. We all have preferences and opinions. I suggest you poke around, do some searches on this site and others and then decide.

EDIT ADD: (356 words.. I DID IT! :) ) -

Hi Ya' Stan! I am happy to see you are still here and that you are still correcting grammer and ensuring people consider the ramifications of their actions. WOOT!

Yeppers! The Magnuson-Moss Act and Dealers, a perplexing world or legalities and loop holes. Stan has a legitimate question. As for resetting everything prior to returning to a dealer for warranty work, if you slap on a CAI, do not compensate for the increase in AF ratio, set off the Check Engine light and throw a AF code to the OBD-II, you had better be comfortable with lying. Most techs in the dealers around me, know the Stangers addiction and will ask the question. "So, man, did you happen to have a CAI or somethin' on there?" If you break down and tell the truth, the dealer will (and should) charge YOU the ASE labor rate for the OBD-II code pull and reset. It really depends on the dealership and the service advisor/technician that writes up your WO and works on your Stang. Some are Azshats and some are junkies themselves.

Now, if we were talking about sloppy exhaust header swaps, cam shaft replacements, etc. that would be a whole different discussion.

Jenn

Speaking of Flash Tunes ,,,,

Is anyone here using a Laptop PC to load their tunes instead of the handheld SCT XCal devices?

The reason that I ask is that I see that Bamachips is offering custom (re)tunes for only $75.00 each.

Seems to me that the Laptop downloads is the way to go ...

what are the hidden hassles/expenses here?