Tuning question

Low86GT

Apr 9, 1999
San Jose, CA
I was just wondering how well the 4.0 can adapt to mods without custom tuning. I know in order to get the best out of the mods tuning is best but is it a must?
The reason I ask is I have seen hand held tuners that have a preprogrammed tune specific to use with a CAI.
I have also seen one CAI that said it did not require tuning.

I am used to working on anything from 86-02 and being able to put a a crap load of bolt ons and not have to really worry since the computer will adapt. In most cases we did do custom tuning to get the best possible performance but with this 05 my nephew just got I have no clue.

To start off with we are looking at CAI, maybe a BBK TB if it will really do anything. We were also looking at true duals but have concerns about losing some low end with this mod.

I hate to have to ask so many questions but the website for all of the V6 tech articals is gone so most of that thread is now useless.

thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I was just wondering how well the 4.0 can adapt to mods without custom tuning. I know in order to get the best out of the mods tuning is best but is it a must?
The reason I ask is I have seen hand held tuners that have a preprogrammed tune specific to use with a CAI.
I have also seen one CAI that said it did not require tuning.

I am used to working on anything from 86-02 and being able to put a a crap load of bolt ons and not have to really worry since the computer will adapt. In most cases we did do custom tuning to get the best possible performance but with this 05 my nephew just got I have no clue.

To start off with we are looking at CAI, maybe a BBK TB if it will really do anything. We were also looking at true duals but have concerns about losing some low end with this mod.

I hate to have to ask so many questions but the website for all of the V6 tech articals is gone so most of that thread is now useless.

thanks for any help.

any CAI that says no tuning required will give you no performance increase. The reason you'll need a tuner with some CAI's is the air is actually moving slower through a larger diameter tube which makes the ECU think less air is going into the engine, cutting fuel and causing a lean condition. You will get increased performance with just a tuner, but you'll get more with a CAI in addition to the tuner. If you add just a high flow CAI and/or TB without a tune you'll get a CEL for lean condition.

True duals won't hurt your low end if you keep a little back pressure. I have true duals on our V6 and did lose some power with a straight thru muffler. Besides the sound was horrid and the drone was bad. So I went to GT take-offs with true duals and and X-pipe. The car sounds great, no drone inside and we gained back the power we lost with the straight thru mufflers.