UD Pulleys Install

NY05GT4ME

Apr 2, 2005
Upstate NY
I just ordered some UD Pulleys for my car, I just wondered if this is an install me and a friend can do with some experience (he put a set on his wrx) and basic tools, or if there are any specialized tools needed....and if it should be left to a professional....
Also, anyone with experiences with pulleys on their 05's i'd like to hear about them...thanks!
:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

It’s a pretty simple and straightforward install. The only specialized tool you may need is a pulley removal tool which you can rent at pep boys or auto zone. You should be able to get it done it an hour. If you or your buddy have any mechanical skill what so ever you will be good to go!

The pulley/dampner puller is the only special tool you need. Your friend did not need this tool on his WRX; the crank pulley just falls right off once you take the bolts out on that car.

On these cars, the crank pulley and the dampner are one piece; therefore you need the dampner puller... it's best if you have a 3-prong.

The pulleys install is very easy on these cars. You'll get the job done quicker if you go ahead & remove the electric fan. There's just one plugin and 2 bolts; in addition to the 1 bolt that holds the power steering resovoir... just slide it to the side after unbolting it from the shroud. Make sure you change out that alternator bracket stud and do not overtighten the "install bolt".

Pro Mod said:
The pulley/dampner puller is the only special tool you need. Your friend did not need this tool on his WRX; the crank pulley just falls right off once you take the bolts out on that car.

On these cars, the crank pulley and the dampner are one piece; therefore you need the dampner puller... it's best if you have a 3-prong.

The pulleys install is very easy on these cars. You'll get the job done quicker if you go ahead & remove the electric fan. There's just one plugin and 2 bolts; in addition to the 1 bolt that holds the power steering resovoir... just slide it to the side after unbolting it from the shroud. Make sure you change out that alternator bracket stud and do not overtighten the "install bolt".

Why would you need to change out that alternator bracket stud? I just got my Steeda pullies.

You exchange the alternator bracket stud with a bolt, because the water pump pulley is larger and it will rub the stud even without a belt. So if you replace it with the supplied bolt, the pulley will clear the bolt head.

Or you can just grind off the stud. But the Steeda kit comes with the extra bolt and it takes 5 seconds to change out :)

Pro Mod said:
You exchange the alternator bracket stud with a bolt, because the water pump pulley is larger and it will rub the stud even without a belt. So if you replace it with the supplied bolt, the pulley will clear the bolt head.

Or you can just grind off the stud. But the Steeda kit comes with the extra bolt and it takes 5 seconds to change out :)

Thanks, I guess that's what I get for buying 2nd hand and not checking to see if all the original stuff was there 1st, huh?:SNSign: rules

I stopped into the autozone today to check on getting the damper puller to do the pulley swap and I wasnt sure exactly which one I needed,
There was one that said damper puller but it was for chrysler....
Is this a ford only tool, or is it universal? And what exactly will it be called...the guy I spoke to at this place had no idea whatsoever...
Thanks!

Also did you guys end up having to use an impact gun on yours, or was a torque wrench sufficient....I hope so because I dont really have access to impact tools....:(

But i'll get er done one way or another! :nice:
Thanks again!

I used an impact gun on mine. But I have read of people using a torque wrench.

Sorry I have no clue about Chrysler balancer so I don't know if they're universal or not. I've seen pullers that had many different bolt slots in them to accomodate many different bolt patterns though.