Umm, I'm new, and I'm an alcoholic...

No, but really, I AM a marine. I see no place for an intro, so I'll get that outta the way since no one knows me. I'm 22, and have been building since I was like 13 and daddy taught me to do brakes. I've been addicted to cars since I was born, so says my mom. I'm a marine stationed in San Diego, CA. I own a 2006 Mustang GT, Tungsten/black leather. Looking to build. This is my first american car that I've actually owned. My last car was a well built 91 Honda Civic that did autocross, mountain runs, and SCCA/NASA racing. I decided to sell it because it's hard to impress a girl (or her dad...) in a gutted-out can. Dad's don't like to hear, "But it can take an apex at speeds that shouldn't be possible in the mountains." So I retired her and my taste matured, and I wanted something nice to build...so here I am...

Now that all that crap is outta the way...

I've been looking hardcore for a while in the Classifieds section on this site and dreaming. Well, it's time to start doing some talking. I've seen several of the top-mount superchargers (Roush, whipple, and eaton seem popular on here), and I've highly considered picking one up...but where the hell do you pick up the manifold from? I can find the blowers, injectors, fuel pumps, tuning...everything. But I CANNOT find the manifolds to mount the damn thing to the mower and make the bastard work! Please help, or show me where to go looking...

Thanks, everyone. Seriously...

n51105127_31351601_5930.jpg

n51105127_31351606_7229.jpg

n51105127_31351611_8827.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I've autocrossed and open-tracked before, what I buy my cars for really, so I think I know where you're coming from. Strait line stuff is ok, but the real fun is in the corners!

These cars are pretty good at it from the factory, though autocross is not so easy with a car this big. The main areas of improvement are the wheels/tires, shocks/struts, sway bars and a few other suspension components. The two best sites for suspension parts, IMOH, are Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension and if you really want to break the bank (though I don't think it's really necessary) Griggs Racing Products

For go-fast mods, a good blower kit, CAI, LT headers and a custom tune will just about do it, and whatever exhaust you want for sound.

My cousin was a marine, got out a little over 6 months ago. So thanks for everything you do.
Dan

welcome to the crowd! introductions usually go in talk, but you asked a tech question at the same time, so it stays in tech. :)

when buying a supercharger, or any power adder for that matter, be sure to get the complete kit, and not a tuner kit. the tuner kit will come with the bare minimum, and you will have to sort out the additional parts needed. usually it is items like injectors, tune, etc. a dynotune is the way to go for a power adder, but a canned tune to get you to the tuner is nice, and you wont have to purchase the handheld tuner from the person doing the tune. usually saves a little bit of money when you buy the complete kit.

be sure to talk to the shop that will be tuning your car and see which brand of tuners they use. you will need the same if you purchase your own. examples include SCT Xcal2/Xcal3 and Diablosport Predator.

I've autocrossed and open-tracked before, what I buy my cars for really, so I think I know where you're coming from. Strait line stuff is ok, but the real fun is in the corners!

These cars are pretty good at it from the factory, though autocross is not so easy with a car this big. The main areas of improvement are the wheels/tires, shocks/struts, sway bars and a few other suspension components. The two best sites for suspension parts, IMOH, are Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension and if you really want to break the bank (though I don't think it's really necessary) Griggs Racing Products

For go-fast mods, a good blower kit, CAI, LT headers and a custom tune will just about do it, and whatever exhaust you want for sound.

My cousin was a marine, got out a little over 6 months ago. So thanks for everything you do.
Dan

another great option is the roush stage 3 suspension kit. :)

Thanks for all the welcome aboards. Luckily, this forum design is VERY similar to the one I'm used to (ImportAtlanta.com). I'm just glad they have this "dark fog" color scheme. I also will be throwing a few shots of my stang from the day I bought her up top on my OP.

Anyways, I was considering the complete kits, but had decided to go with looking in the classifieds area of the site and like I said, I found a couple decent deals, but it's pretty much blower-only from people doing upgrades. I figured it may be cheaper, and I can get to know some SN-ers. One particular setup I saw was (if I remember right) an Eaton for an 03-04 Cobra. I just don't know where to find a manifold for it.

I was looking into the Edlebrock as well just because my dad swears by them and hooker about as much as he swore by Kawasaki for his dragbike. Is the edlebrock even out, yet, or still in the works?

I haven't yet found a shop, yet, as I'm not quite in the stage for shop-hunting...nor do I know anyone out here, yet. But I will, soon. I don't mind hearing of some good ones? Again...I'm in San Diego...can't go TOO far...but I'm willing to drive a good distance.

Oh, and I'll probably be looking at LT pipes soon. Is it advised or not to thermal wrap them on these cars? With imports, it's pretty well advised seeing as the pipes are at the front of the motor up against the radiator...what's up with Mustangs? With only about 25K I'm hoping I can pull the headers off without much rust and corrosion, yet...

MUCH thanks for the suspension heads-up as that will be the (likely) the next thing I do...after a one-piece drive shaft. I've been advised that adding much power to the 197's almost requires a swap. I had looked into Roush for suspension, but was told to look elsewhere. Not that I wanna get off topic, but can anyone that does that form of performance driving give me some heads up on what they have and how they like it? Please note...it'll be my DD, and I have to have clearance for the crappy drainways they have here on the base. They're not killer, but you've gotta slow it down. I could probably drop 2-3inches fairly safely. Any more would be questioning.

oODanOo - Just a head's up. You can have a former sailor, or "was a soldier," but there's never a "was a marine." Once a marine, always a marine is something we strive for and live by. :goodjob: Please pass my thanks to him, as well.

another great option is the roush stage 3 suspension kit. :)

The roush kits are good too, though some are overpriced. With this car there is no real need to redesign the suspension, so any reasonably well thought out set of springs, shocks/struts and swaybars will do wonders.

Watched the Top Gear where they had the Roush stage 3 car and the GT500 both go around their track, and the Roush beat it by 2 seconds. That's with the GT500 having, what, a 60-70 HP advantage?
Dan

The roush kits are good too, though some are overpriced. With this car there is no real need to redesign the suspension, so any reasonably well thought out set of springs, shocks/struts and swaybars will do wonders.

Watched the Top Gear where they had the Roush stage 3 car and the GT500 both go around their track, and the Roush beat it by 2 seconds. That's with the GT500 having, what, a 60-70 HP advantage?
Dan

the roush stage 3 kit is the one that beat the GT500. the complete kit with shocks/struts, springs, swaybars, etc is only $1400 and some change. if i was going from scratch, i would get the roush kit. I would also still use the J&M control arms to further improve on the kit.

the roush kit is a mild drop, so i dont believe clearance would be an issue for the OP. something to look into before purchasing at least.

the track dedicated suspension kits are very expensive, and not needed for a DD type vehicle.

Thanks for all the welcome aboards. Luckily, this forum design is VERY similar to the one I'm used to (ImportAtlanta.com). I'm just glad they have this "dark fog" color scheme. I also will be throwing a few shots of my stang from the day I bought her up top on my OP.

Anyways, I was considering the complete kits, but had decided to go with looking in the classifieds area of the site and like I said, I found a couple decent deals, but it's pretty much blower-only from people doing upgrades. I figured it may be cheaper, and I can get to know some SN-ers. One particular setup I saw was (if I remember right) an Eaton for an 03-04 Cobra. I just don't know where to find a manifold for it.

I was looking into the Edlebrock as well just because my dad swears by them and hooker about as much as he swore by Kawasaki for his dragbike. Is the edlebrock even out, yet, or still in the works?

I haven't yet found a shop, yet, as I'm not quite in the stage for shop-hunting...nor do I know anyone out here, yet. But I will, soon. I don't mind hearing of some good ones? Again...I'm in San Diego...can't go TOO far...but I'm willing to drive a good distance.

Oh, and I'll probably be looking at LT pipes soon. Is it advised or not to thermal wrap them on these cars? With imports, it's pretty well advised seeing as the pipes are at the front of the motor up against the radiator...what's up with Mustangs? With only about 25K I'm hoping I can pull the headers off without much rust and corrosion, yet...

MUCH thanks for the suspension heads-up as that will be the (likely) the next thing I do...after a one-piece drive shaft. I've been advised that adding much power to the 197's almost requires a swap. I had looked into Roush for suspension, but was told to look elsewhere. Not that I wanna get off topic, but can anyone that does that form of performance driving give me some heads up on what they have and how they like it? Please note...it'll be my DD, and I have to have clearance for the crappy drainways they have here on the base. They're not killer, but you've gotta slow it down. I could probably drop 2-3inches fairly safely. Any more would be questioning.

oODanOo - Just a head's up. You can have a former sailor, or "was a soldier," but there's never a "was a marine." Once a marine, always a marine is something we strive for and live by. :goodjob: Please pass my thanks to him, as well.

The edlebrock is expected to ship later in Feb go the the link i posted previosuly..

As far as decent shops i have 2 out here in LA not too far from San Diego..

Of course theres always G.A.S. (Galphin Auto Sports) which is kinda pricey since they are like famous and stuff.. But i did find a great shop out here in Chatsworth CA

If your interested in the shop PM (private message) me for more details

But def look into looking into that edlebrock im leaning more towards that set up then the whipple now

-Josh

the roush stage 3 kit is the one that beat the GT500. the complete kit with shocks/struts, springs, swaybars, etc is only $1400 and some change. if i was going from scratch, i would get the roush kit. I would also still use the J&M control arms to further improve on the kit.

the roush kit is a mild drop, so i dont believe clearance would be an issue for the OP. something to look into before purchasing at least.

the track dedicated suspension kits are very expensive, and not needed for a DD type vehicle.

I'm going to get this package. It's a grand but comes with true adjustable coil-overs, the PHB and CC plates. I already have their lower control arms, which use rod ends and are a bit more harsh.

Both kits are very good, but for the price I believe this is the ticket for anyone wanting a little customization for the open track/auto-x car.
Dan

EDIT: The package is actually two grand, little typo.

Grr...unfortunately, I don't think I can afford the edlebrock for now, but DAMN does it look sexy in that bay...but I'll be contacting you when the time is right for that shop, Josh. Thanks!

I'll also be looking into the roush kit. My civic had a suspension set up that was MEANT for the track, and while it was great to brag about how you could push down on the bumper and the car wouldn't budge, or that it was just SICK at the track....i had too many girls complain from their boobs hurting from the bounce in the drive on daily drives...

I'm going to get this package. It's a grand but comes with true adjustable coil-overs, the PHB and CC plates. I already have their lower control arms, which use rod ends and are a bit more harsh.

Both kits are very good, but for the price I believe this is the ticket for anyone wanting a little customization for the open track/auto-x car.
Dan

When it's done, definitely let me know...I'd definitely be interested in looking into it.

Oh, yeah, header wrap isn't generally used, more often people get the ceramic coated. But there's no reason against it. I've thought about maybe getting mine ceramic coated and then using header wrap, but that might be excessive.
Dan

IF you really want to go carve corners and have fun without going broke get yourself a decent shock/spring setup some sway bars and top it off with a Fays2 engineering watts link.

Trust me on that last bit.

Not that I know of but I'd buy from Jim anytime. He's an excellent guy as not many will give you their personal cell with the instructions and take calls on a Sunday from customers who (like me) are under the car frantic that they screwed up.