Underdrive pulleys - worth it???

Blak05GT

Oct 30, 2007
Hey everyone, I'm getting some FRPP 4.10s and a Bassani x-pipe installed next week. I already have a BBK intake, custom dyno tune, JBA shorty headers, and a B&B axle back exhaust. I'm thinking about also doing Steeda Underdrive pulleys at the same time the x-pipe and 4.10s go in but I'm worried about the charging, A/C, and cooling abilities of the car. I live in Arizona and it gets hot!!! Are the pulleys worth putting in or will I sacrifice cooling abilities?? Also, will the performance gain be worth it? What is everyone's experience with UD pulleys?

• Sponsors (?)

You probably won't notice cooling or charging issues unless you sit in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, because neither is effected much except at idle (under 2k really).
Dan

You probably won't notice cooling or charging issues unless you sit in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, because neither is effected much except at idle (under 2k really).
Dan

+1 on Dan's comments

I just installed a set of pulleys and think they are well worth it. However, I don't live in AZ where it gets so hot. Dan pretty much sumed up the effects of cooling/charging. Do it, they are a simple install!

UDP you wont need to retune your car so theres one plus and whats your commute like.. If its NON STOP traffic then mayby just get a 160-180 thermostat and program the fan to turn on sooner, but over all , id spring for it, I noticed a little more throttle response but nothing to call everyone about!

The dyno results I've seen indicate ~6 rwhp with pulleys. I installed a Steeda set on my car, and honestly, I couldn't feel the power difference. But 6rwhp isn't much so it would be difficult to notice. Some companies claim that you can see an increase in gas mileage also, which makes sense, but I haven't had the opportunity to test this on the highway yet. Also as somebody else stated the engine seems to run more smoothly. I thought it was just me, glad someone else brought it up. All in all I like them.

As far as cooling issues, I live in west Texas which is almost as hot as Arizona and I've had UD pulleys on my 86 for about 2 years. After installing an electric fan and 3G (125 amp) alternator I haven't had any cooling or charging issues. I figure because the new cars come with better radiators, electric fans and high amp alternators from the factory there shouldn't be any problems associated with the pulleys, but I haven't had them on the 05 long enough to test it in the Texas heat.

I'm sure there's a small difference. To get the largest increase, I'll be installing the Steeda crank pulley with Meziere water pump once I get done working on a stripe project I'm doing for some people. I'll post dyno and track results in May hopefully.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I'm adding some LCA's with my 4.10s and x-pipe. I'm hoping this thing is a rocket out of the hole now! I'm gonna think about the UDP and I might do them on my own or next time I take it in to get work done. From what everyone said I'm sure the pulleys wouldn't cause a problem in this heat.

I think the LCA's first is probably a good idea. I have done the LCA's and the UDP's and definitely got the most bank for the buck out of the LCA's. They really help your launch, and generally eliminate any wheel hop you have.

With that said I would do the UDP's when you have the money in the budget. I waited on mine and found a deal for new ones for $163 (performancecenter.com). They are back to $199 now. I live in Texas and have had no cooling problems after installing the UDP's.