upgrades..

matt1517

Nov 4, 2008
I'm looking at getting some upgrades for the car. I already have a CAI. But I'm looking for something more to buff up the 6'r. I heard under drive pulleys are good, but are they easy to put on? Exhaust wise how hard would it be to install a true duel exhaust? Are there any places where they're cheaper than others. I want to get rims and all but I don't have the whole 900$ in hand. Some guy at autozone gave me some 95 gt rims for free, they had old tires. I had just bought new tires so I had no use for them and I sold them for a steal of 120...I needed the money at the time. But now I wish I hadn't sold them.

Is there anything else that would add on power for the money?:)

• Sponsors (?)

Cheapest way to get dual exhaust is to find some GT takeoff's for little money or free. Then take it to a mom and pop - hole in the wall exhaust shop to install it. Did this on my first Mustang and it ended up costing me about $175 which included the GT Takeoff's and install. Good Luck!

I cant seem to locate any takeoffs...for my year.

I Keep forgetting what year yours isSorry.But,the thing with Take-offs..is it's just that...Take-offs.Meaning stock H-pipe..mufflers and tailpipes from a GT.they supposedly match up with the 3.8 headers.If its the 94-98 v6 then I THINK the 94-95 5.0 exhaust is what fits.I'm not sure.I would have to clarify that with someone else.It could be 96-98 4.6 parts.If you have a 99 and up v6,I honestly cant say.Probably 99-03 gt parts.

The pulleys arent difficult.How much time it takes depends on what pulleys are replaced.If the power steering pulley is included,then you'll need a special pulley removal tool,which you can (borrow) from advanced auto or autozone.The crank pulley comes right off (4 bolts).Alt. needs a pulley tool also.But its EASY.

You can also get a power tuned programer/chip.Those go from $100 - $400.With the exhaust and CAI,you could get an extra 15 - 30+ HP with that updated programer.Check 50resto.com.They have V6 stuff there as well.

Posted via
Mobile Device

I put my old mans 99 GT Exhaust on my 98 sixer and used a pacesetter y pipe for the conversion. It essentially made it an x and true dual. Overall it cost me less than 100 bones and it was by far the best mod I did. The stock 94-98 stop producing power around 3800-4k and after I placed the exhaust on in conjunction with my CAI I was seeing power up to at least 4600-4800.

i just bought my FIRST CAR and it's a mustang 94 v6.....YAY.....I want a few upgrades that will set my car apart...at least a little....and i m very tight on the budget.....only 500 dollars....something cheap would be great.....PLEASE HELP...I dont want the stock look....PLEASE POST

I'm going to post a wanted classified on craigslist.. (just for clarification) v6'rs have the y pipe right? So that would mean id need the midpipe as well?
mustang-exhaust-diagram.jpg

I'm going to post a wanted classified on craigslist.. (just for clarification) v6'rs have the y pipe right? So that would mean id need the midpipe as well?
mustang-exhaust-diagram.jpg

Y-pipe..? Y-Not pipe ? Heh ..well anyways..Y-pipe with cats and then Midpipe into muffler.I recently learned I could use the midpipe sections from a 5.0 exhaust.Fits right on the flange no problem.Just that the pipe has slightly different bends and it's 1/4" bigger in diameter (2 1/2").Good if you want to fit a different sized muffler and tailpipe.Sounds better even.

Now if you do get a GT system.Get the most you can,including both midpipe sections.You get one piece,you have to get the rest.No individual exhaust parts are interchangeable with the V6 except for one of the 5.0 midpipe sections.The passenger side I believe.I'm still not sure what you plan on doing to your exhaust.Ar you trying to modify the stock exhaust so 5.0 or 4.6 parts will fit? Or do you wish to go from the headers to the tailpipe?
Posted via Mobile Device

I want to be able to make it a true duel exhaust. I should have stated this before. I want to adapt a 4.6 or 5.0 exhaust from the cats to the back. The more I look into it the more I'm just thinking of 1, buying a kit, cut it and put it in. Or 2, just leave it as it is, and totally negate getting a stock gt exhaust system.

Converting V6 Mustangs to Dual Exhaust at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Take a look at the link I posted above.There are 2 options here.Use a V6 dual exhaust adaptor kit,which basically lets you use any Cat-back exhaust setup for the GT.This kit allows you to keep your cats.You'll have to cut the pipe just aafter the cats.Look at the pipe pieces included in the kit and you'll get the idea.You wont have to weld,but it is reccomended to prevent leaks.Not a very good improvement in HP but it does sound better.The other setup is use a V6 H or X pipe.This can be more costly but is the easiest to do.No cutting or welding.You can get midpipe setups with or without cats.If you want to keep your low end torque,get one with cats.Bolts right up to stock headers.

This is mostly a difference between just how much work you'll want to do versus how much you can afford.With either of these kits,you'll still need mufflers and tailpipes,not to forget the small piece of pipe that goes from the mufflers to the H pipe flange.Cat-back kits come with these pieces.

Looks pretty simple to me.Bolted flanges and hangers.Not much more to it than that.No welding.I've bever used it,but looking at it I can tell.

As far as Do's an Dont's...Do use jackstands while working under your car. Dont ever rely on a jack alone.

As far as the exhaust sound goes,I personally don't think it would sound too good.It isn't true dual exhaust so it would still have that flat sound.It's just personal opinion.I personally like the rough sound of a true dual exhaust.The extra low growling makes it sound a lot beefier.

The below read is totally optional and has nothing to do with instaling exhaust.

Here is something one can do to get an idea of what the exhaust would sound like coming out of one of the tailpipes of a true dual setup.ONLY do this if you are familiar with and used to maintaining your car on a regular basis.I wont reccomend it if you are a lazy type or don't want to have to reset the CE light.Now...........under your hood,unplug plug wires 1,2 and 3 or....plug wires 4,5 and 6.Either of those 3 sets.Better yet,instead of the plug wires,unplug injectors for cyl 1,2 and 3 or...4,5 and 6.I reccomend the injector method over the coil wire method as a coil could short out if you dont do it properly or ...you could get a nasty shock.Now,with either of those sets unplugged,start the engine.Listen to the exhaust.It is the exhaust coming from the one side of the engine that you did not unplug.You are now hearing what it sounds like without being interferred by the other exhaust side.Depending on your exhaust setup now,It will probably be quieter when you hear it than what a true dual sounds like.But the noise your hear now is from just the one side.Sounds pretty good.You can rev it up a little but theres no power (3 cyls off).So now you got an idea.It basically sounds like this but much louder and much better with an H pipe.You will never get a sound like this using your stock Y pipe.Because it merges the exhaust flow and sound pattern on both sides of the engine at exactly the same point.It's good for low end torque,but it sucks horribly on sound and HP.The Y-pipe de-polarizes the sound waves from both sides and cancels out the lower end.I wont get into this any further to avoid confusing you or anyone else.This is why you will NEVER get that low end growling using the stock Y-pipe.

Remember,if you do this little test,remember to clear the codes from the pcm by using a scan tool or disconnecting battery for 2 minutes.Plug back in and start engine.Let idle by itself for 1 minute to let it learn idle control.

First of all that was totally informative (non-sarcastic). Second, would there be a specific kit you would buy? I know you have mentioned a few brands and that you have recommended the h-pipe. Are there any out there that you, or anyone else absolutely loves on a 6'r?

I recommend you do what I did, I had my neighborhood muffler shop custom make me a true dual exhaust set up, with no H pipe and flowmasters. It really sounds good, very unique. ran me about 300 for piping and mufflers from the cats all the way back. Sounds better than a stock GT, I get compliments all the time.

Another piece of advice, don't get pulleys. They're an absolute waste, the dollar per horsepower ratio is terrible.