Vacuum resevoir replacement?

78CobraII

Jul 31, 1998
Birmingham, AL
Anybody replaced their vacuum resevoir canister lately? If so, what did you use?

I was inside the fender on my Ghia and found the whole bottom rusted away on mine.

Back in the mid-'80's I replaced the one in my '76 hatch with the current Ford replacement part at the time...from an early '80's Fox Mustang. I haven't checked with Ford yet, but I'm not hopefull as they went to the "plastic ball" type of canister a long time ago. The late model resto site does not list one.

Scott Drake Classic Mustang resto parts makes similar-looking cans for the '67-'70 and '71-'73 Mustangs, but they run $80! And I can't tell if they would fit or not.

• Sponsors (?)

I got a larger one "Hi-C can sized" from a 80's Ranger fit in the stock bracket with no probelm . The correct one has 2 ports on top. There is a second one that has ony one port but you will have to get the vacuum check valve to use it and redo some line as well.

Tim

Macstang2,

I'm pretty sure that my vent controls won't work properly without a vacuum canister. A 2.3L engine doesn't make much vacuum at WOT.

Cobraii351,

For some reason my '78 only has only one connection on the can. I seem to remember that my '76 had two though.

Summitt Racing has a steel vacuum canister for about $33. I haven't been able to call a Ford dealer yet, and I haven't found a cannister for the Ranger online yet either. I have a couple of weeks till startup...

Any single port canister will function fine then. And yes you are correct the vents will do strange things if you have no vacuum reserve. like at "mashed gas pedal" everything flops open to heat on the feet... In the summer that's no fun. Been there, replaced the can! I got mine out of a local pick-n-pull salvage yard.

Tim

Since I added a performance camshaft i added a better vacuum canister from Crane Cams. The engine would want to stall on me every time I hit the brakes hard.
I mounted it where the old resevior was in the fenderwell, and it's connected between the brake booster and the intake manifold vacuum port.
I had a guy at work (no car knowledge) ask me "hey, what's that yellow can for inside your fender?"
I couldn't resist. "it's my nitrous bottle" :rlaugh:

LOL! I didn't think about the vacumn canisters effect on your vents. I've reworked and deleted so many things in my dash and engine bay, in my mustang and yes I can see a 2.3 having vac. problems, I have a 2.0 in my Ranger and used a Cusco catch can with a couple of flapper valves for a new vac canister.
I used the catch can because its aluminum and set up for -AN connections so that I shouldn't ever have to do it again.