Resolved Very Hard to Start/High Idle

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator
I’m trying to run down the last issue I’m having so I can drive my car for the very first time.

It is very hard to start. It turns over fine, but I have to try for a minute or more before it eventually catches and runs. Once it’s running it runs smooth as butter, but the idle never falls down below 2200.

So far I tested the TPS and I get .92v at idle, as I open the throttle is smoothly increases to 4.8v at WOT.

I replaced the MAF and IAC with brand new OEM parts and the problem remains.

What else can cause this problem? EGR? I feel I’ve been able to rule out the usual suspects. I’m ready to finally drive this thing so hoping you guys can help me figure it out!

• Sponsors (?)

There are a few things that can cause a high idle..
1. Bad TPS Sensor
2. Set screw moved for the Throttle Body Blade, you can take off the CAI at the TB and check to see if the Blade is closing all the way or stuck open, or blocked
3. Vacuum Leak
4. Tune (Usually if you have aftermarket products like CAI, TB, Plenum, or EGR Delete...

I would start with trouble shooting these first..

Ed

The starting issue makes me think fuel if it is cranking ok but takes a while to start. Simplest answer may be to change the fuel filter if you haven't in a while. I had some odd staring/hesitation issues when my pump started to go, should have done it sooner before I needed a tow.

The starting issue makes me think fuel if it is cranking ok but takes a while to start. Simplest answer may be to change the fuel filter if you haven't in a while. I had some odd staring/hesitation issues when my pump started to go, should have done it sooner before I needed a tow.
Try this:

1. Cycle the key to the [On] position but do not start the car.
2. Wait 3 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2, two more times.
4. Start the car and report back to us, what happens.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve done a good bit of troubleshooting this far. Testing spark, injectors, etc. I hooked Forscan up while trying to crank the engine over and the fuel pressure is all over the place.

The IAC did fix my idle issue. I never actually started the car after replacing it. When it was still hard to start I just assumed it didn’t fix it.

So I came to the conclusion that it is the fuel pump also. I have a new pump assembly in hand, I’ve just been busy with work and haven’t had a chance to install. I’m hoping this weekend I’ll be able to knock it out. I’m fairly certain that this will fix my starting issue.

Shera.gif

Wait... Dammit... OH, well. :jester: