vibration problem?

radtke5.0

May 24, 2006
I still haven’t figured out my vibration problem, but I think I have narrowed it down. Ok the car is an 88 gt it has 28k on it, I just did a aod to t5 swap, the car had no vibration issues prior. The flywheel has been resurfaced, new spec stage 1, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and an adjustable quadrant.
Ok here’s the problem when the car is in gear and I go to let out the clutch the car starts to vibrate pretty bad. It revs fine in gear, and out of gear with the clutch in and out so I don’t think it’s the flywheel I haven’t driven it any farther than out of the garage or had it up to speed either though.
1. Could it be the tranny isn’t in the pilot bearing?
2. I used the aod cross member, but a t5 tranny mount, would it not be lining up?
3. Or maybe the clutch cable isn’t adjusted correctly?

• Sponsors (?)

radtke5.0 said:
well the vibration is pretty bad so i haven't really driven it, so just when i'm letting it out then.

Ah, I see you said that in the original post, my bad.

I don't have any experience with the AOD crossmember, but I doubt that would cause it. I'm sure someone knows more about that.

It sounds like maybe something went wrong with the clutch installation. I would probably pull the tranny back out and double-check everything. Was the tranny known-good before you installed it? Are you sure you used the correct pilot bearing?

Did the bellhousing snug up against the engine nicely?

I can't imagine having the clutch cable mis-adjusted would cause that either.

It's been a few years since I had a t-5 out, or I could probably be of more help.

Jeff

When you installed the pressure plate did you use the three pins that locate the pressure plate? A slight missalignment there could show up worse when the clutch is engaged. I would find it hard to believe that the input shaft is not in the pilot bearing since it sits into it about 3/4 of an inch, unless of course the pilot bearing is missing. I also did a swap on my car, 2.3 auto to 5.0 manual so if you have any other questions I'm sure I've covered it. I was very complete with my swap including adding the welded in manual transmission hump to the floorboards.

ok had the car out and it vibrates when starting in 1st gear and down shifting otherwise it's not noticable. i'm thinking it's it's the presure plate or friction disc rather thats off a little. well out comes the tranny then.