Volvo FMIC / Ranger Rad

SILENTCARL

Feb 15, 2007
Let me apologize now, because I'm guessing that this is one of those questions that has been asked 1000 times... I just cant seem to find a decent answer for it.

I'm going to do my motor swap as soon as I finish paint. (I cant wait!)

I have a Volvo FMIC, and am looking into what radiator to use. I have seen talk about a mid 80's (84 I believe) HD rad out of a v-6 ranger w/ a/c.

What Radiators are good for this swap?
How do they cool compared to stock?
What did the routing of hoses involve?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

P.S. I would also appreciate any pictures or links to info on this.

• Sponsors (?)

Late 80's to mid 90's ranger, explorer radiator. There are about 5 different kinds though. What you want is the one that has a basically square core (19x19" or so) and has the inlet/outlet on the same sides as a stock mustang radiator...

Thanks for the replies. I got a HD ranger radiator. It looks pretty big, but clears the intercooler.

I need to get some ideas for mounting the radiator, and volvo intercooler. I have a few ideas of my own, but would like to see what others have done. Could some one please post pictures of their install?

Or links to others?

Thanks in advance,

-Carl

The install of both was very simple. Now, I understand what most meant by saying to just doing it and find out. Even with just basic tools, I made brackets to hold the intercooler, and reused the factory radiator brackets to hold the Ranger Radiator. (I just flipped them from one side to another for now, later, I plan on making nicer mounts to hold it.)

I really think that there should be a better how-to section on just the mounting of the radiator and intercooler.

If I wasn't so busy trying to get my car to start right now, I'd try to make a quick and dirty How - to pictorial.