Warm Start Question

Old Skooler

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2012
So I have a carb 331 and when I start it cold it starts right up idles perfect never an issue. Now after driving it around when the motor is nice and hot it takes a few tries to start. It always starts but is there an adjustment that I could make? Learning this carb stuff as I go, EFI was so much easier.

• Sponsors (?)

So I have a carb 331 and when I start it cold it starts right up idles perfect never an issue. Now after driving it around when the motor is nice and hot it takes a few tries to start. It always starts but is there an adjustment that I could make? Learning this carb stuff as I go, EFI was so much easier.

You ain't really an "Old skooler" are you?:shrug: If you were, a carb would be second nature, cause after all,...a true old schooler would consider a carb WAAAAY easier than the hassles of fuel injection.

Getting the right hot start method requires that all things are working right w/ the carb in the first place, I.E. the choke isn't still partially closed, the float levels aren't so high that fuel is dripping in the intake, is there enough timing in the motor,...blah-blah-blah.
If all is OK w/ the carb, it's gonna take some practice. Restart w/ throttle closed; partially open (like 1/4). a small pat of gas first, then a restart w/ closed throttle, the same w/ it slightly open,...It's all just a matter of experimenting until you find the right restart procedure to get it to fire on the first couple of revs. If all of that fails to produce a respectable restart w/o excessive cranking, you need to look at the first part again.

@ mad mike thanks for the info I've been away so this weekend I'm going to get into it. The "old skooler" reference was made because of my choice in mustangs "fox body" the whole carb thing was a little before my time I've always had EFI. That said I always liked the clean look of a carb motor, wanted something different and it reminds me of 60s raw power. Nothing against EFI, I just have to ask the gurus questions and learn the tricks...lol

I've thought about converting back but once I pop the hood I remember why i started this set up.