water intercooler

StangerJon

Mar 20, 2003
Minnesota
does any one have one of these? I was thinking about having my brother convert my tc one to a water at collage for a project. is it worth it? I want to run around 18-20 #'s of boost and advance the timing a few degrees. there was something on the xr4ti that cought my brother attention about it and he got very excited about it. so would it be worth it with free welding and stuff just paying for the materials? how much do you think that would cost then

• Sponsors (?)

StangerJon said:
does any one have one of these? I was thinking about having my brother convert my tc one to a water at collage for a project. is it worth it? I want to run around 18-20 #'s of boost and advance the timing a few degrees. there was something on the xr4ti that cought my brother attention about it and he got very excited about it. so would it be worth it with free welding and stuff just paying for the materials? how much do you think that would cost then

from what i have heard, unless you are planning for a track car liquid intercooling isnt worth it for just street use. a Track setup would awsome cuz you could ice the water/cooler and make a fast run while the intercooler is still ice-cold. Like i said,neat idea and practical use on the track, but if its for a daily driver IMO you wont see any more gains over a decent air-2-air intercooler.

you could always throw ice water in the window washer fluid tank and route the output hose to the intercooler with a nozzle that sprays the intercooler with ice cold water... it wont be track legal since the next guy down could be killed if he runs over the water at 100mph and spins out... but its a poor mans more effecient intercooler on the street. you'll use all your existing equipment, and water is FREE! just gotta find some ice when you want to race... =) go get a soda from mcdonalds and toss the old ice into the resivoir... hehe.

ka0tyk said:
you could always throw ice water in the window washer fluid tank and route the output hose to the intercooler with a nozzle that sprays the intercooler with ice cold water... it wont be track legal since the next guy down could be killed if he runs over the water at 100mph and spins out... but its a poor mans more effecient intercooler on the street. you'll use all your existing equipment, and water is FREE! just gotta find some ice when you want to race... =) go get a soda from mcdonalds and toss the old ice into the resivoir... hehe.
hehe
I think you used too many specific examples.
Can you also name the streets and tracks that you've done it on? :p

A properly designed air/liquid intercooler will bring intake temps much closer to ambient temps. The cooling coils(or series of them) can be placed in many places the intercooler will not fit, and the intercooler itself can then be placed just about anywhere. One factor which will greatly affect the efficiency of the completed system is the type of liquid used. I'm not sure of the best, but with a little digging you should be able to figure it out.