what a pain in the ass!

tonight i mounted two 315/35-r17 BFG drag radials for my freind. I had to mount them on 17x9 wheels. they go on his 96 camrao SS. Ive been working in garages for about 4 years now and this was my first time i had to fit a 315 on a 17x9.

Now im what you would call fast on a tire machine (ive dismounted 8 tires and mounted 4 tires in 9 minutes:D), but i spent 45 minutes on these 2 tires. It took FOREVER to get the beads to seat. I had the pressure up to 60psi at one point (you are only supposed to mount a tire at 40psi or the machine may explode:lol:) and they still would not seat. i had to play aoround with them for a while.

just thought id share what a pain it is to fit a 315 on a 17x9. so the next time your tire guy does it for you, throw him 10 bucks:D

• Sponsors (?)

Wowzer! The 315 BFG's must be quite a bit narrower than 315 F1's because there's no way mine would EVER fit on a 9" rim. They're 4" wider than the wheel, lol.

At least your friend will never have to worry about curb rash on the wheels, lol.

Wouldnt it just be better to get a tire that was more narrow(thus cheaper) and it would actually result in the same contact patch?

I guess my question is whats the point of such a wide tire if the wheel cant even take advantage of it?

nmcgrawj said:
Wouldnt it just be better to get a tire that was more narrow(thus cheaper) and it would actually result in the same contact patch?

I guess my question is whats the point of such a wide tire if the wheel cant even take advantage of it?

This is a Chevy guy we are talking about.

Adam

If you measure a rim from lip to lip, they are about an inch and a half larger than the quoted size. This is because they are measure with respect to the bead.

An 8 inch wheel is really about 9.6 inches wide from lip to lip which drum roll please... is 245mm. That also happens to be the right size for a 8 inch rim anything else is compromising the sidewall.

275 is 10.835 inches wide
305 is 12.017 inches wide
315 is 12.411 inches wide
335 is 13.199 inches wide

Just some simple math will tell you that putting a 315 on a 9 inch rim is a bad idea. In fact a 275 is wider than a 9 inch rim but there is nothing in between to mount. You need an 11 inch wheel to properly run a 315.

you guys cant say it WONT fit, because i just did it myself and yes, they are mounted properly. hes not after the performace gain of a 315, as there really is none(they are huge and have a ton of rotational mass). if he wanted optimal traction he would have gotten 2 255/50-16 mickey thompson et street radials on v6 camaro wheels.

he just wanted it to look "bad ass" which is the same reasoning you guys primarily give for putting big tires on the back:shrug:

ill quote this guy from an old post
Black Stampede said:
When people put large tires on, its usually for looks not performance. Theres nothing wrong with putting 315s on a 9 inch wheel.

On a side note, when I do have tires put on my cars, if I see the tire guy take his time and being extra careful with my wheels, I usually throw him a little cash so he knows I appreciate what he did.

Not sure about the 315 on a 9" though. Take a hard corner, I'd be scared that puppy would bust loose from the rim. To each there own though.

So, you being a tire guy - for performance purposes, I am doing 18X9 up front and 18X10 in the rear. Have any tire size recommendations. Only doing the 18s to accomodate the 14" brake kit. Getting a light set though.

Thanks in advance.

94gts said:
you guys cant say it WONT fit, because i just did it myself and yes, they are mounted properly. hes not after the performace gain of a 315, as there really is none(they are huge and have a ton of rotational mass). if he wanted optimal traction he would have gotten 2 255/50-16 mickey thompson et street radials on v6 camaro wheels.

He bought drag radials so I figure performance had to be some part of the equation. Either way, I never said it would not work. It may seem like I am attacking you, but I realize it was not your car. You said it yourself that it was really hard to get them mounted on. The reason is obvious as BF Goodrich recommends a 11-12" rim for that tire.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/gforce_ta_drag_radial.pdf

I am just getting frustrated with people making mistakes like this and not listening to reason. Just because someone on the internet or your friend's buddy's cousin did it does not make it a good idea. I just want to get it out there since there are alot of guys on stangnet that are putting on too much tire per rim width.

V8SHME8 said:
I am just getting frustrated with people making mistakes like this and not listening to reason. Just because someone on the internet or your friend's buddy's cousin did it does not make it a good idea. I just want to get it out there since there are alot of guys on stangnet that are putting on too much tire per rim width.

yea man no problem. i also get frustrated when people do foolish things to their car. even though i shouldnt, since its not my car:lol:

but yea there really was no "point in putting those tires on his car. its a stock lt1 with a catback and lid. he definately does not "need" a 315 for traction purposes.