What are bolt-ons...

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I'll play along. Bolt-ons is a generic term for anything that doesn't involve internal engine work, i.e. Cold Air Intake (CAI), underdrive pulleys, any type of exhaust component (headers, x/h pipes, cat back or axle back mufflers), and so on and so forth. Once you get into cams, port and polish, rotating assembly work, etc... you are no longer dealing with bolt-ons. As you can see, the cost and time to install will vary greatly.

"Bolt On's" mean you bolt them on to the car to make it go faster...

Generically it's a part that is installed in less then 30 minutes and doesn't involve getting dirty

Typical parts are listed in the above post.

I guess it's an semi insider joke? Not really sure but here is what it means to myself...

ban meaning banned from the boards (what would I do)
and
.t meaning that timeless [or BigCat since I'm in 'his' section] would be the one pressing the banned for life button.

:)

And besides we are all here to learn. Even the silly questions have to be answered.

------ Back on topic now ------

Typically most bolt ons for the Mustang result in a 5 - 15 HP increase from the stock figures. However, this doesn't mean that we can just add up all of those numbers to get a total. Total HP doesn't mean Baseline + boxHP + boxHP = Final Figure. You should hit the dyno to get an idea of where your car really is.

Things like a Tune or Underdriven pulleys seem to result in the biggest overall increase of power from the latest Mustang. The exhuaust on these cars is very well thought out from the factory so mufflers don't add any real HP figures (only change the sound.) CAI's, deleteing the Change [or charge?] motion plates, headers? add a few HP but not as much as that tuner does initially... Or at least it's my take on the bolt ons.

Good tune and regular bolt ons put you around (or above) 300 RWHP from everything. But this again is personal choice, on how many boltons you apply + the degree / state of tune that is chosen.

CBus 06 GT said:
He means 300 RWHP instead of the 260RWHP or so that GTs put out stock. To get an additional 300HP would require a heck of a lot more than just bolt-ons.

Like bolt on another 3 valve in the trunk :0 Didn't they do that in a caddy with another northstar engine or some junk?? or was it a tiburon or both.

Yes the factory ratings on the Mustangs 4.6L 3V SHOC engine are

300 HP
320 Torque

However, you must understand that these numbers are measured on an engine dynometer without any accessories. Thus giving you an engine horsepower figure or more commonly refered to as flywheel HP. So you have to calculate some losses to reach the actual RWHP (rear wheel horsepower) on any car.

Here is how it works... 300 /1.15 or 15% DTL gives you a figure in the 260HP range.

*DTL = drivetrain losses