What are my rights?

30AnnivStang

Founding Member
Jul 25, 2001
Mauldin , SC
Hey guys, I'm posting this here b/c you guys probably have more recent dealings with FoMoCo.

In March I purchased a '03 v6 Mustang from a used lot (chevy dealership).
I ran a Carfax, and it checked out. I had the car checked out and the only problem was the power steering pump, which ford replaced without any questions asked.

Now I'm having real problems with the car. When the car is warm, the speedo and tach will fluctuate and the car will sometimes die at stops. This is a real safety concern to me. I could easily be rearended at a light if my car dies or be t-boned if im crossing traffic slowly. I have no modifications.

The car has been in 3 times now, twice to my local dealership and once to a dealership in Indiana while on vacation. They have replaced the IAC, the alternator (don't ask, I don't get it either) and the vehicle speed sensor. It goes back tomorrow for it's 4th attempt.

Becuase I did not purchase this car from Ford, they do not supply a loaner vehicle. We only have 2 vehicles between my wife and myself and can't afford a third vehicle/months of rental car fees.

They can't seem to figure out what is wrong, so I"m trying to figure out what my rights are and what steps I should take.

I had planned to purchase a Mustang GT next year, but I can't find a decent dealership that can help me.

• Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately, you've got a used car. IANAL, but Lemon Laws generally only apply to the first purchaser of the vehicle, even if it's still under warranty.

You may be entitled to the remainder of the factory warranty, but that's about it. Perhaps you're now discovering why the vehicle was on a used lot so early in its life...

If its a manual trans the problem is a loose plug.
Jack the car up and get under it and look for a Plug that plugs into the transmision.Push it in hard and that will solve your problem.
A friend of mine had the same problem with stalling no speedo and no cruse control.....Get under there and look for the plug,its the only one connecting to the trans................Johnny :flag:

jfischer said:
Unfortunately, you've got a used car. IANAL, but Lemon Laws generally only apply to the first purchaser of the vehicle, even if it's still under warranty.

You may be entitled to the remainder of the factory warranty, but that's about it. Perhaps you're now discovering why the vehicle was on a used lot so early in its life...

I put it in tech, in case someone knew what was wrong with it.

I don't know what IANAL means.

I know I am entitled to the remainder of the factory warranty, but the question is, what if they can't get it fixed? How many times is it reasonable to take it back? Do I have any recourse? If it was on a used lot for a reason, that should be documented by Ford, and I should have a leg to stand on right?

30AnnivStang said:
I don't know what IANAL means.

IANAL=I Am Not A Lawyer :)

Do I have any recourse? If it was on a used lot for a reason, that should be documented by Ford, and I should have a leg to stand on right?

I doubt it. It's a used car. Used cars are generally sold AS-IS, WHERE-IS, and WITH ALL FAULTS. Even though it's still got some factory warranty left, about the best you can do it keep taking it in until they (possibly) get it right. Try another dealer if necessary.

Some states do offer some limited lemon law protection for used cars, but it's generally not nearly the same protection as a new-car purchaser receives.

johnnytuinals said:
If its a manual trans the problem is a loose plug.
Jack the car up and get under it and look for a Plug that plugs into the transmision.Push it in hard and that will solve your problem.
A friend of mine had the same problem with stalling no speedo and no cruse control.....Get under there and look for the plug,its the only one connecting to the trans................Johnny :flag:

They changed the speed sensor, which is what that plug hooks to, so I'm sure it would have corrected that, but I'll check it before I drive tomorrow.

When your friend had that problem, did it only happen when the car was warm like mine??

Check the battery. When the batter went bad on my 02, the first symptom was the guages went all funny. When I would start the car, they would sweep all the way to max, then come back down. A few days later the car would stall out, and have difficulty starting.

Replacing the battery solved the problem.

I don't know if that cable is the speed sensor or what.I am sure the dealer went into the engine to check everything out but i still think you have a loose cable thats making you stall coming to lights and no speedo and no cruse control...To not stall when you come to a light or stop sign you need to hit the gas pedel a little so you don't stall before you are stopping.Just go under the car and look for the plug and push it in it should be easy to see.....Johnny

I know if there is a loose plug under the car you can have Speedo and stalling problems.Easy way is to jackup your car and make sure all the plugs on the tranny are PUSHED in all the way...Johnny

no loose plugs. checked everything. I personally think it is something in the ECM. The strange thing though is that there is a direct correlation to heat. In the morning, I have no problems, but in the afternoon when it's 95*, I have LOTS of problems. Was your friends situation related to heat? Also, was his situation documented at ford? if so, could you email me his specifics so my dealership could contact his?

The engine speed also tends to hang really high when stopped, but only with the "thing" is happening.

Also, i don't have cruise control as an option. So I do not have that symptom.

30anniv,
I dont have a solution to your problem.

But I would try to isolate the problem area, since you say its heat related, Try running some clothes dryer duct from your vents to the ecm you spoke of and keep it cool and see if it still does it, if it does, its probably somewhere else. It will look a little goofy but its the only way I can think of to isolate the problem.

And keep taking it to the dealer till its right, be nice to the service mgr. and tell him of your hardship, he might be sympethetic with you and get it done.

Good luck