What can cause a starter solinoid to go bad?

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
? I'm about to replace my second one in 3 weeks....what's causing it? Starter works fine, battery has plenty of juice. All i can think of are my battery cables are wore pretty bad and have a couple bad spots in them, but they've been that way since i got the car and i'm just recently having problems. (yea i know, why havent i fixed the wires yet?) Anyways, could this be the cause or is it something else?

• Sponsors (?)

eh could be. The brand i'm buying, and replacing with (i'm getting a free replacement) is Wells....i've never heard of them other than for stock replacement type parts, so i know little about'em. Do they even make performance solinoids?

I would probably point to the battery cables too. I'm sure they aren't helping and are placing more load (and heat) to be transferred to the solenoid. I've also seen this caused by bad fuseable links too (on older cars anyway). Sometimes they just get old and crap out. The one on my 88 GT crapped out 3 days after I bought it :rolleyes: Get some new cables and take the solenoid back for a new one. I think that would fix your problem. One of my good friends had an intermittent starting problem with his mint 1991 Bronco XLT. The battery cables looked pretty good yet (at least the insulation) but he picked up new ones and it fixed the problem. Later we cut the insulation off some of the old cables and it was just packed with corrosion. Hope this helps :flag:

P.S. How is the polishing going on your 10-holes? I'd really like to see them once you get them finished :banana: Long live the 10 holes :D

Special Service Police (Mustang) My car used to be a cop car.

Well forget the solinoid. It's been replaced, and i've narrowed it down to the starter, which sucks. But hey, one of the ears on my starter is broke off anyways, so i kinda need one anyways, along with those new wires.