What do you use for a header gasket?

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
Portland, Oregon
For quite a while I was running the cheap paper gaskets that came with my BBK longtubes, but last week a couple of bolts worked themselves loose and I blew out the driver side gasket (moral of story: check bolts periodically, I had four total between both sides that were visibly backed out, and one was missing altogether).

Today I installed a multi-layer "dead soft" aluminum gasket from Schucks, and it immediately leaked badly. It seems like the holes in the gasket are too low, and it doesn't leave enough material overlap on the top of the exhaust ports to seal properly. So I picked up a set of Mr. Gasket copper gaskets, and installed one this afternoon. I've got it damn tight, and still it leaks a bit. Not as bad as the aluminum, but it's audible.

So what is everyone here using? Cheap gaskets? Permatex copper? What???

At this point I'm either going to order a set of Fel-pro 1415's (couldn't find any parts store today that had them in stock), or I'll call up BBK and request a set of their cheapo paper gaskets. At least those didn't leak...

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

I am using some percy's dead soft aluminum gaskets (~$35) with a set of Stage 8 locking header bolts. I haven't had any problems or leaks since its been on (4 months), the Percy's have worked great and are reusable. I would also recommend a set of the lokcing headers bolts. There is no way mine bolts are backing out with those things on, at least they better not with a much of a PIA as they were to install.......sorry about the rant, hope that helps.

I can't remember which I used but I know it wasn't the ones from BBK. It was either a Fel-pro or a Mr. Gasket. My headers leak bad because I can never stay on top of the bolts getting loose. They are a PITA to get to because of all the crap in the way and I have more important things to worry about. Anyway, I too am interested in getting a high-quality set of gaskets and some bolts that won't come out./rant off :D

Felpro

felpro 1415's with stage 8 stainless bolts.

no leaks nice fit, stainless bolts look nice too.

can't usually find a parts store that keeps them in stock though. always have to pick em up in a couple days.

I wouldn't use anything else.

I like the ROL graphite header gaskets set that is a direct replacement for the 1415.. They seem a little thicker, and I have yet to have a leak with them... Even after a bolt worked its way loose, they still didnt leak.. Good gaskets, and a few bucks less than the Felpro...

felpro here too. just the stock replacement ones. got some locking header bolts and with the retainer, there is no way those things are backing out cause its impossible

swingline said:
On Summit it says that the 1415's are only for a Ford 62-93? Am I missing something?
Ignore them. The holes are all in the same places on a 93 vs. 94/95. Just another example of the 94/95's getting ignored :rolleyes:.

So I guess I'll either get 1415's again, or maybe have a look at these ROL graphite ones. Autozone had some regular Fel-pro ones in stock, which were silver and looked like they would be restrictive for my setup. :shrug:.

And the next time that $@!#& header comes off, I'm using header STUDS. I'm really getting sick of the bolts after spending hours dealing with them yesterday. And I don't like the risk to the threads on my aluminum heads.

Dave

GTJake said:
I run Fel-Pro 1415's with header studs. I retightened them the next day after I installed them, they've been fine the whole summer.

Jake
yeah another fellow header stud man! Wow our mods are even closer than i thought the all powerful header studs! Lol worked great for me too tightened them once and have only ever had one loosen in like 6-7 months. I used generic felpros from Kragen on my car after my first header gasket blowout.

HairyCanary said:
And the next time that $@!#& header comes off, I'm using header STUDS. I'm really getting sick of the bolts after spending hours dealing with them yesterday. And I don't like the risk to the threads on my aluminum heads.

Dave

Dave

I know it's not high tech and all

BUT

I just use stainless steel lock washers from the local hardware store and my header bolts stay put.

Later
Grady

Hey Cupcake !! Buy Mr Gasket Ultra seals !!! Never had a leak with them and reusable.

Mine last 5 years of on/off header removes on my 63 chebie.

Ok he went with Fel-Pro

The REAL old guy