Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other Name Brand

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Cheapest in town

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

CANTONRACER said:
I work at a dyno shop so I test everything as much as I want to. I test gas from one brand compared to another. I also track mileage and driving habits per tank.

I go to BP, I will lose 20-30 miles that tank of gas. Same with most gas(Sheetz, Citgo, Marathon). Put in Sunoco, my mileage is where it should be and the truck runs better.

In my wife's 99 V6, I run only 87 Sunoco because I know the difference in power/mileage it makes in my Lightning.

Now test your wife's V6 with and without sunoco on the dyno using 87 oct.

Tylerb59 said:
just remember to never, EVER buy gas from Aarco

Ill keep that in mind :D

Over five years ago I begin tracking my mileage per tank in regards to different brands of gas. It was not about to see what brand would give me the best price, but what brand would give me the best value overall. At the time I was driving a GMC 1500 truck and putting a lot of mileage on it.

From this I would average tanks of gas from whomever had the lowest price of gas, regardless of brand, I thought I was getting ahead by saving a buck here, a buck there. Some brands I would get 400 miles per tank out of 20 gallons while others I would get 360 miles per tank. Using todays gas prices, and brand A which gets 400 miles per tank (20 mpg) @ $2.00 gallon and brand B which gets 360 miles per tank (18mpg) @ $1.95 gallon. Now I saved a $1.00 on gas using brand B, great, but did I save any money in the long run?

Basically, what I am getting at is I am very interested in the brand of gas I use for a few reasons. Getting the best mileage out of my wife's car and I really don't care if it makes more rwhp, and when your only making in the 160's rwhp, 1 or 2 rwhp it might pickup could be a number of things. I would have to average all the runs. Personally, I like to dyno my Lightning a whole, whole lot more, for obvious reasons.

Another big reason for my anal way of doing stuff like this (my wife says so) is my 96 Z28. When you run a 12.5:1, solid roller, racing heads pump gas street combo, gas selection is incredibly critical.

Just thought I would share....

CANTONRACER said:
Basically, what I am getting at is I am very interested in the brand of gas I use for a few reasons. Getting the best mileage out of my wife's car and I really don't care if it makes more rwhp, and when your only making in the 160's rwhp, 1 or 2 rwhp it might pickup could be a number of things. I would have to average all the runs. Personally, I like to dyno my Lightning a whole, whole lot more, for obvious reasons.

CANTONRACER said:
I use my local BJ's gas. I made a dyno proven 6wrhp difference. I also get 20-30 miles per tank of more on it. Its just Sunoco

All I'm saying is that this post on a V6 thread would imply that Joe Blow/Jane Dow with a V6 could get 6rwhp plus 20-30 miles per tank of fuel by using brand X. Its just missing so much imformation like which car/truck it was done on and what grade fuel was used etc.

Also I believe most of the additives a company adds to there fuel is more for cleaning out car motors than performance. So with that in mind I wonder which refinery those stations gets its fuel from ;)

Dude, believe what you want and I cleared up what I was talking about.

I am not going to every try to help again...jeez, I mean, **** me, I only work at a dyno shop, I only see all types of mods, I only see what works on these V6's, obviously I have nothing to offer because when I do, people like you pick it apart because you simply dont understand...like that is my fault.

97v6Silver said:
goto an airport and get some airplane fuel woo wee talk about some high octane

I don't got anything thats needs over 92 oct my self. If you buy av gas keep an eye on what it is your pumping in. Some planes like jets uses a mix of like 70% 100 oct and 30% 87 oct fuel. Now you sould be able to tell the difference by the color of the fuel, I think the 100 oct is like blue while the other is red but don't quote me its been I while since I've messed with a plane.

[QUOTE='03 6-Speed]Sunoco is like NOWHERE around West Texas :notnice: Is Phillips pretty popular down where you are?[/QUOTE]

Crap I guess I'm doom to be slooowww :bang:

J/K I know about Sunocos I think aren't they the ones you can but 100oct at the pump ? Anyways we're more into: Fina, Texaco, HEB, and Murphy's USA. There is a small movenment of Shells poping up but still to soon to tell on them. I think Phillips is for those guys who live in no mans land like the Panhandle ;)

Ya know, it's awfully funny. For Phillips being one of the smallest oil producers out there, the town I live in...Borger, has the largest Inland refinery in North America, you think I'm joking, but I kid you not. Phillips has probably been the most blundering oil company in history to still be alive. Though they only hang on by a thread, there is no true Phillips 66 anymore, it's all been integrated into Chevron and Conoco. I just hope to get the hell out of this town as soon as possible, cause there are currently plans going through the works of shutting the refinery, the plant, NGL, and the chemical business that Phillips 66 currently employs. This means, an immediate 45% population drop as jobs are either moved or, worst case, eliminated. There is a slim chance however that the company, as long as they can invest their revenues pretty well, they can survive and actually rebuild the name of Phillips, don't see it happening though.

[QUOTE='03 6-Speed]Ya know, it's awfully funny. For Phillips being one of the smallest oil producers out there, the town I live in...Borger, has the largest Inland refinery in North America, you think I'm joking, but I kid you not. Phillips has probably been the most blundering oil company in history to still be alive. Though they only hang on by a thread, there is no true Phillips 66 anymore, it's all been integrated into Chevron and Conoco. I just hope to get the hell out of this town as soon as possible, cause there are currently plans going through the works of shutting the refinery, the plant, NGL, and the chemical business that Phillips 66 currently employs. This means, an immediate 45% population drop as jobs are either moved or, worst case, eliminated. There is a slim chance however that the company, as long as they can invest their revenues pretty well, they can survive and actually rebuild the name of Phillips, don't see it happening though.[/QUOTE]

DAMN :doh: that has to sux. Well it started here but not that large scale. Now over in our sister city they have one that may close which would count for probly 20-30% of the jobs which well still hurt like hell :(

[QUOTE='03 6-Speed]Ya know, it's awfully funny. For Phillips being one of the smallest oil producers out there, the town I live in...Borger, has the largest Inland refinery in North America[/QUOTE]
Nope, Wood River is the largest in the company ( ConocoPhillips ) at over 320,000 bpd and we are inland. I know, I work there. Also, we are nowhere near the largest in North America.

Phillips has probably been the most blundering oil company in history to still be alive

How so ? Have you seen the stock value lately ? They were a pioneer in the alaskan oilfield production and hold many patents that deal with the upstream side of the business.

Phillips 66 anymore it's all been integrated into Chevron and Conoco

This is true to an extent, yes Conoco and Phillips Merged after Phillips purchased all of Tosco's refinery's. Which by the way has made the new company the largest domestic refiner of crude oil in North America. Chevron has a joint venture with CP for LNG (liquified natural gas ) and their chemicals business. Yes, they did drop the carbon resid end of the busniess which is probably what you are talking about.
I just hope to get the hell out of this town as soon as possible, cause there are currently plans going through the works of shutting the refinery
Not true, I get the montly downstream emails every month and that has never even made a blip on the radar, if anything the refinery in NJ ( Bayway ) might be sold....no refineries will be shut down in our lifetime.

There is a slim chance however that the company, as long as they can invest their revenues pretty well, they can survive and actually rebuild the name of Phillips, don't see it happening though.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about ???????? Look at the moving averages for the company and the 52 week high. Since the merger the stock has gone up from 50 ish to over 75.....please do your research before spouting off.

And yes I buy Conocophillips gasoline which can be branded 76, phillips or conoco depending on your location.

mmmmk here we go, first of all, thx for the flame, I didn't think anyone here would know or care to know all the exact details of the situation. You do not live in Borger, TX and your parents are not both employees of ChevronPhillips. If you knew what all has happened to the company personally, and if you had received all your information direct from the source, you would know that most of what I am saying is true. the Phillips 66 oil Refinery may not be the largest producer inland, BUT it is the largest in sheer area and has been since it began production in the mid 70s. And Phillips has made many blunders as to the fact that it has followed in suit with most other oil companies and not tried to be a big pioneer like it did back years ago. My parents have told me personally that Chevron and Conoco are interested in phasing out our area, because it has been rather dried up. If you might know, Borger was one of the largest boomtowns in the history of the oil industry and our town used to have a population of over 60,000, now, were down to 14,000, and we are also the 3rd fastest shrinking city per capita in the state of Texas. All these reasons are proof that this refinery is being phased out. And the whole stock issue of it rising so quickly, has a very simple explanation, Phillips decides, were gonna raise prices a bit and see if sales drop. Sales don't drop, so they can keep raising prices and stock will follow suit. Now don't flame me unless you know the situation of our town and are personally experiencing it or because you get downstream e-mails every month.

The LNG plant is seperate from the refinery. No refineries will be shut down...period. The LNG side of the business has been up and down, it's down now. Still I haven't heard anything on shutting in down. If so I am sorry for your folks...my intent was not to flame, just correct a few things.

The company is strong and has been for some time, as for the emails...Sadly enough we ( in the company ) would know before the people in the town in the plant is in jeporady. I'm just saying is hasn't even been hinted at, nor rumored - - -speaking of the refinery not LNG ( or NGL ). Even if the company would divest it someone would grab it b/c there is always money in oil.

Lastly, no CP isn't raising prices to inflate profit margins. It's a lot more complicated than that. The main reason is they have captured synergies b/w the two companies and have saved X millions in the process.

Like I said, I would never wish a closure on anyone...let alone someone in my own company. I wish the best for your folks.