What Happened To My Clutch?

cw50must

Founding Member
Jan 28, 2000
Mesa, AZ
Should say "clutch" sorry

A few months ago I installed a New Ram HDX Clutch, I also did a new pilot bearing, new throw out bearing, and a new t5 steal bearing retainer, and had my flywheel resurfaced. The paperwork recomended 500-1000 break in miles. I was easy on it for 1200 or so miles. This weekend I decided to start getting on it, its been a long time since I have driven my car, and I missed it. :)
Anyway, I was shifting out of 2nd gear and it just didn't feel right, then I couldn't get it into any other gear. I never smelled the clutch at all, and I never felt it slipping. It almost felt like the cable had broke, but I could still see it hooked up to the fork. I also could still feel some resistance in the pedal, but it definatley felt different. I managed to get home but rev matching. It was about 25 miles home, but mostly freeway so once I got it into 4th I was good. Still no slipping at all just no clutch when I pushed the pedal. I had to stop twice and each time I just re-started the car in gear.
Someone had mentioned maybe the fly clutch and the flywheel stuck together? any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your clutch cable may have stretched out. Try tightening it up and see if it helps. If it does, then time for a new cable. I would drive it as little as possible until you can replace it.

Joe

Sounds to me like your clutch cable was bound up when you initially installed and adjusted it.

Re-adjust at the firewall (assuming you have a FWA). Check to ensure that the cable has not slipped off of the quadrant. After those things are done, check to ensure that it still releases like it's supposed to. If so... press on with pride.

I had something similar happen many clutches and several years ago. The cable made a 'thunk' when I pressed on the pedal. That brief moment of cable slack allowed the cable to come off the top of the quadrant. It was an OEM quadrant, so the cable was riding on the prawl.

I guess I should have mentioned I have a stock quadrant and stock cable. No firewall adjustment. ITs still hooked up at the fork, but I didn't check under the dash. I guess I figured that since there was still some resistance on the pedal it was still hooked up. I think my best thing to do is have some one press the pedal and watch what happens at the bottom. I have a brand new cable I meant to install when I was doing the clutch, I just sort of didn't do it. I hope thats all it is.