What is an igntion like an MSD supposed to do better than stock?

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I got an MSD 6 ignition for christmas (i wanted some car parts, an MSD seemed like a good type of thing that I would use for a long time, and I heard it would enable my motor to rev higher, which would be helpful with higher revving, more powerful engines). I didn't really expect to get it, but I threw it in. I have noticed absolutely no difference. Should I have?

Mods listed in sig.

• Sponsors (?)

SadbutTrue said:
I have noticed absolutely no difference. Should I have?

As far as power, I can't really say, as I put mine in same times as my cam, intake and new headers, but I did notice a difference in fuel efficiency. It seems to be much better now if I'm well behaved...not that that happens often. I looked on the MSD site www.msdignition.com thinking I'd find a "why MSD" or "How it works", but to no avail. It does state "Benefits such as quicker ET’s, easier starting, reduced plug fouling, more power and even increased fuel economy can be expected with the 6’s high energy multiple sparks."

To sum it all up, power: I don't know, fuel efficency: yes, easier starts: no.
:shrug:

The theory behind MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge) is to provide a short burst of sparks per combustion moment instead of just one spark like a normal ignition. I can't remember if it also amplifies the spark to make it more powerful, that might only possible with a more powerful coil. The burst of sparks enables more complete combustion, reduces the chance of misfires, generally makes the combustion cycle more efficient. Different combinations of combustion chamber design, plug placement, air:fuel ratio, etc. etc. will determine how much an MSD will/won't help you. Ages ago I put an MSD on my buddy's 240Z and it made a pretty noticable difference. Power? Not much, but it ran smoother, idled smoother, and actually did start a little quicker. That's a Nissan six, keep in mind.
With your ACCEL Coil, you're getting pretty hot spark already, so you may notice less of a difference than if you were running a bone stock Ford coil.

Oh yes, as far as it allowing your engine to rev higher, its more like it will help a engine tuned for higher RPM operate more efficiently at high engine speeds. I believe the MSD 6 also has an adjustable rev limiter, enabling you to set it to kick in at the appropriate point for your engine.

I just completed a MSD install and definitely noticed an improvement in my idle. It is smoother. The car always kicked right over so no difference there. I also installed an MSD distributor and played with the advance curve and noticed quicker accelleration based on my stock distributor. I'm running 14* initial timing with the light blue springs and have absolutely not detonation. Definitely happy with it. Pics below...

engine4.jpg

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

I've run the same MSD box/ignition for about 10 years, and, eh, it works. Honestly, it's like you're SUPPOSED to have one if you have a hot rod. LOL! "It doesn't matter if it's better. People just won't respect you if you don't have a red box." Whatever.

Actually, the 6AL has a rev limiter, which is, to me, the best reason to have one.

The way I understand the box, you get multiple sparks instead of one long one . . . UNDER 3,000 rpm's. After that, you get the longest one possible.

My motor pulls hard till through 8k (as far as I'm willing to push it!), so, for what it's worth, having an MSD removes a limiting factor from your combination i.e. if your motor won't pull high rpm's, it's NOT your ignition's fault.