What Primer?

Taranis

Nov 12, 2004
Austin, Texas
Hello All,
Right now, I am reskinning the doors for my 69 Stang. While I'm at it, I decided to take off all the paint on the door shells and wire wheel off any rust...and patch up some of the rust holes on the door. I eventually plan on painting the car with PPG primers and paints.
Is there a rattle can of something that I can spray on the door shells to protect them for a while until I get the DP74LF? Preferably something I don't have to remove to shoot on the DP. I don't have a spray gun right now and the year's budget has been shot to get one. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The best bet is always to get the primer etcher/sealer of the paint system you are going to use on the bare metal. If you don't use a etcher/sealer then the primer will not adhere to the metal (etcher part) and without the sealer, moisture will permiate the rattle can primer and may start rusting out underneath.

If your budget is totally shot, and the doors are in bare metal, then any primer is better than no primer. You can get the rattle can primer from any Wal-Mart, just keep in mind it should be removed again right before you apply the primer etcher/sealer of your paint system. Ideally the car should be kept in the garage and not exposed to any moisture (rain or lawn overspray).

I've heard of some people using a product that you coat the bare steel that will not allow rust to gain a foothold, but I cna't remember what it was. You can also use oil, but it will cause havoc when you go to paint.

After I the self-etching primer, I bought a cheap rattle can of paint from O'Reilly's and gave the door a good coat of that. Then I sanded the bottom 1/4 of the interior and put on a thick coat of 3M 8883 undercoating. That ought to hold off the rust on the interior of the door. I'll take the paint back off the exterior of the door prior to the Epoxy primer. Thanks for all y'alls help.