What should i know (Washing Engine Bay)

PuppyDawg

Nov 20, 2003
Boston,MA
Hey guys....i have an appointment to have my headers put on by my local shop....but before i do i'm going to wash out the engine bay area due to the grease and grime left in there....what should i know when i'm pressure washing my engine bay?....i'm going to actually left my car running while i do this cause i don't want it to struggle when i try to start it again....and also i'm going to have my vehicle either left at the shop so that once the shop opens....they'll pull it in their shop to work on it and the engine'll be cooled down....or just towed there (flatbed) in the morning. what else should i know??

• Sponsors (?)

The Shape said:
I always just put a plastic sack over my dizzy and tape a piece of plastic over the TPS sensor. Then I just hose it off. If yours has alot of grime a little simple green will work well.

iight.....coo thanks for the info...now where's the TPS sensor at? lol....i'mma throw something over that and then down and dirty....

PuppyDawg said:
iight.....coo thanks for the info...now where's the TPS sensor at? lol....i'mma throw something over that and then down and dirty....

It's the little black sensor on top of the throttle body, and has a short wire harness coming off it...try to stay away from electrical stuff, and the alternator too....

There is a coating you can buy at most Harley shops that you use on the inside of the pipes before you install them. It has a few steps to it but it works well. I used it on my 900.00 pipes before I put them on my chopper this spring and so far so good. I hope it stays that way. I've never used it on a set of chrome headers but I don't see why it wouldn't help.

89lx5o said:
There is a coating you can buy at most Harley shops that you use on the inside of the pipes before you install them. It has a few steps to it but it works well. I used it on my 900.00 pipes before I put them on my chopper this spring and so far so good. I hope it stays that way. I've never used it on a set of chrome headers but I don't see why it wouldn't help.

oh really?....you use it on the insides or outsides of your headers/pipes? and what's the product called?