What sounds good.

faststang87

Jan 15, 2009
Kansas
Hey guys, I have a 1985 mustang gt with a 351 Windsor. I already have flowmasters on the car, but I want it to be louder. Does anyone have any suggestions or any other exhaust system suggestions that will make it even louder. I want to put hushpowers on it and dump it. Let me know what you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

wtf are hushpowers? i doubt they are louder than or sound as good as flowmasters.

headers, off road h or x pipe and flowmasters should be pretty loud, or you can go with single chamber flowmasters and it will get REALLY loud.

wtf are hushpowers? i doubt they are louder than or sound as good as flowmasters.

headers, off road h or x pipe and flowmasters should be pretty loud, or you can go with single chamber flowmasters and it will get REALLY loud.

Hushpower is a muffler that flowmaster sells, if you look at it, it looks like it is a modern day glasspack. I already have headers on the car so that is not a problem but the off road x pipe will be really good. :nice:

just throw an x pipe and some mac mufflers. it will be loud as s**t! an will sound good. hushpowers are a cheaper type of muffler more comparible to dynomax in price an sound. like a dynomax turbo muffler basically if im not mistaken. is the exhaust 2.5? or 3? if your pushin good power go to 3 inch. around 400rwhp it would deff help to go 3 inch exhaust.

I HIGHLY recommend an off road X pipe with MAC mufflers. Just don't put the MAC's with an off road H, it sounds totally different and kinda sucks.

It is the deletion of catyletic converters that open up an exhaust. Mufflers create the actual exhaust note. Some are more aggressive than others,

i have an off road H pipe with spintech pro street mufflers and my car is LOUD. idle and WOT. i have an idle/rev video clip but my car has such a deep tone that the crappy mic on my point and shoot camera can barely pick it up. there's a muffler comparison chart floating around somewhere, comparing power increase and decibel level. iirc, the MAC flowpaths were the loudest followed by spintech prostreets. flowmasters sound pretty good, but i think there are better choices out there for sure.

Well I can definately see that the off road x pipe is good, so that is what I will use. As for the mufflers I can tell that MAC is what a majority of you guys have used or like. Which mac muffler do you guys recommend? Also do you guys think that I should put turn downs after the muffler or just leave them straight out the back... Again thanks alot!!!

I went from old flowmaster 2 1/4 catback to the 2 1/2 catback and it's much louder with the same brand, which is 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters. I like it also, since it matches my 2 1/2 inch off road x pipe. X pipe is louder and better for engines producing serious power. :thinking:

mac43960a.jpg

th9953608FLT.jpg

Look at the two above. Imagine when you are up in the mid to high rpm range and the exhaust flow is increasing in speed. Will it miss the sharp turn of the H pipe at high speeds while the x pipe forces the two exhaust flow paths to meet?

Think about it.

Attachments

• mac43960a.jpg
    mac43960a.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 49
Well I can definately see that the off road x pipe is good, so that is what I will use. As for the mufflers I can tell that MAC is what a majority of you guys have used or like. Which mac muffler do you guys recommend? Also do you guys think that I should put turn downs after the muffler or just leave them straight out the back... Again thanks alot!!!

I'am running bbk 1 5/8 lt's and bbk 2 1/2 off road h with the full mac catback. Anything above 3500rpm is loud as hell.

I think if they where dumped after the mufflers it would be to loud to drive.

I went from old flowmaster 2 1/4 catback to the 2 1/2 catback and it's much louder with the same brand, which is 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters. I like it also, since it matches my 2 1/2 inch off road x pipe. X pipe is louder and better for engines producing serious power. :thinking:

mac43960a.jpg

th9953608FLT.jpg

Look at the two above. Imagine when you are up in the mid to high rpm range and the exhaust flow is increasing in speed. Will it miss the sharp turn of the H pipe at high speeds while the x pipe forces the two exhaust flow paths to meet?

Think about it.

I think when you get to a point where you're making enough power that THAT subtle of a difference is going to matter, you'd likely be running LT's with dumps or at least LT's with just a pair of Dynomax Race Bullets or something similar behind 'em. Really, the H- versus X-pipe debate comes down mostly to sound, because the HP/torque difference between the two is almost negligible for 99% of people ... and the sound issue is not only determined by personal taste, but also by what kind of mufflers you plan on putting behind it.

Oh yeah, and another difference between the above two mid-pipes: one has transmission crossmember hangers, the other does not. No hangers = easy install, but no support (which means having to jack it up and re-tighten stuff periodically). Hangers = PITA to install, but you only gotta do it once. :nice:

Attachments

• mac43960a.jpg
    mac43960a.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 53
I think when you get to a point where you're making enough power that THAT subtle of a difference is going to matter, you'd likely be running LT's with dumps or at least LT's with just a pair of Dynomax Race Bullets or something similar behind 'em. Really, the H- versus X-pipe debate comes down mostly to sound, because the HP/torque difference between the two is almost negligible for 99% of people ... and the sound issue is not only determined by personal taste, but also by what kind of mufflers you plan on putting behind it.

Oh yeah, and another difference between the above two mid-pipes: one has transmission crossmember hangers, the other does not. No hangers = easy install, but no support (which means having to jack it up and re-tighten stuff periodically). Hangers = PITA to install, but you only gotta do it once. :nice:

thats funny i never had much of a problem doing hangers, esp on my xpipe i just push it up and it with my knees lol