what transmissions will fit a 76 2.3L?

slystang

Founding Member
Jul 3, 1999
horseheads, Ny usa
My girlfriend just bought a 76 ghia. It's an automatic, so it just drags ass down the road until you're goin 60, then its got ok power up to 90. I keep tellin her to buy a header and maybe some weber side drafts (she doesnt wanna do a turbo swap), but i know that trannys robbing alot of power. it's not even overdrive, so her MPG gets kinda crappy mileage. so what more modern transmissions could bolt up to her motor. what other parts would need to be replaced(bellhousing, flexplate....)?

• Sponsors (?)

well the 2.3 lived in the mustang until 93, so if it were me I would throw a T-5 out of a 2.3L fox in it or an AOD from the same years and rear gears (all be it 6.75 gears are going to be more difficult than swappind an 8" from a j/y)

slystang said:
So, i guess my only question now would be this.... Are the AOD's from the fox bodies computer controlled in any way? Oh... and do I understand you right? Mustang II's have a 6.75 rear end?

I believe there two solenoids on the A4LD that are controlled by the computer. One is for the lockup torque converter, and the other is for 4th gear (I'm pulling this info out of some far back memories though).

77Sleeper is saying the 4-cyl II's will have a 6.75" rear end. The gear ratio will most likely be 3.18:1 or 3.40:1.