Whats that grinding sound???

I am hearing a grinding or rubbing sound in the rear end when I am driving. Its hard to describe it but I am going to say its like a hollow sound, like its echoing somewhere. It sounds like it may be in the wheelwell or the axle. I put it on a lift and rotated the tires and didnt hear anything. I also turned both rear rotors, didnt fix the problem. I fear its inside the axle. It is not constant. sounds like something is hitting one certain spot during each revolution. Sound speeds up (a little) at higher speeds. Has anyone had this problem or know what it may be. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

hmm, if you have downshifted with out properly rev-matching the engine to the spin rate of the wheels you could've broken a tooth off the rear differential gear. Happened to one of the guys and made the exact same clicking/clunking noise. You said hollow so. hmmmm... Check the bushings around the control arms, shocks, and quad shock to see if it's making sounds around there. Tranny comes to mind too... odd

KaPPaBaLL said:
hmm, if you have downshifted with out properly rev-matching the engine to the spin rate of the wheels you could've broken a tooth off the rear differential gear. Happened to one of the guys and made the exact same clicking/clunking noise. You said hollow so. hmmmm... Check the bushings around the control arms, shocks, and quad shock to see if it's making sounds around there. Tranny comes to mind too... odd

Well its not a clicking or clunking noise, its more like a rotating grind or rub. I think that the sound originates too far back to be the tranny. thanks for the input though. :flag: