What's the best way to break in a new block?

• Sponsors (?)

Whatever you do, do not run synthetic oil. Synthetics are too thin and light. They don't allow the rings to seat properly and the rings start to hydroplane on the cylinder walls and everything doesn't "conform" with eachother. I know a lot of people will say "use synthetic". If your going to be hard on the car, don't. Synthetic oils cannot carry all of the trash out of a motor like regular oil can. Get some 10w-30 or 20-50.

Joe

They say to run the motor at a high idle for 30-60 min. Then change the oil Then run it for like 100 miles... Change the oil then another 500-1000 and change the oil... Depending on how much debre your getting at the bottom of the oil filter tells you how much you need to change it (It will look like little metal dust)... Now some people say to use some non -detergent oil and run it for like 50 miles to make sure your rings get seated good.

As far as the blower goes i wouldn't push your motor at all till you change the oil and it shows no debre at the bottom of the oil filter..

Some people say you drive it like you normally do, I say just keep your rpms down and occationally you might want to rap them up a little. But again the big thing is changing the oil multiple times..

Moneypit is right. There are so many different "ways" to break in a motor. Some say to run it at 2500 or 3k for 25-45 minutes then change the oil and others say drive it easy for 500, change it, drive it for 1000, change it, then drive it for 3000 and change it, and then beat on it. I would go with the second method. The rings may be seated after the first 100 miles, but you never know, so just to be safe I would wait it out for ~5000 miles.

Joe