What's this Black Box under the dash?

I just found out that this Mustang I purchased back in August has an alarm hidden in it. It's been unhooked all this time and hiding under the dash. Its a Freedom Keyless Entry and Security System and the company wants a almost $40 for a transmitter since I was never given any transmitters when I bought the vehicle. I looked it up on the website and its a pretty basic system.

Now I am wondering...since all the basic wiring has already been done by this install and I do have a install manual downloaded from the website on this alarm...I am thinking of just replacing it with another alarm. I was really wanting one of the alarms that utilize the 2way LCD Screen remotes.

I do my own audio installs and have messed around with a alarm install or two on some basic systems. What do you guys think? Could this be something I could tackle on my own or should I get it done professionally. I just hate when other people install audio and alarm components on my cars. Free installs in my opinion always seem to be "get it done quick, cheaply and half ass" installs IMO.

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Dont do it man. I've done a lot of audio and just general electronics projects in the past, but I would never install an alarm in my own car. You can seriously mess it up. I mean, if you want your alarm going off at 3 a.m. for just some random reason, go for it. But honestly, I'd just go get it installed.

ChingonStang said:
I just found out that this Mustang I purchased back in August has an alarm hidden in it. It's been unhooked all this time and hiding under the dash. Its a Freedom Keyless Entry and Security System and the company wants a almost $40 for a transmitter since I was never given any transmitters when I bought the vehicle. I looked it up on the website and its a pretty basic system.

Now I am wondering...since all the basic wiring has already been done by this install and I do have a install manual downloaded from the website on this alarm...I am thinking of just replacing it with another alarm. I was really wanting one of the alarms that utilize the 2way LCD Screen remotes.

I do my own audio installs and have messed around with a alarm install or two on some basic systems. What do you guys think? Could this be something I could tackle on my own or should I get it done professionally. I just hate when other people install audio and alarm components on my cars. Free installs in my opinion always seem to be "get it done quick, cheaply and half ass" installs IMO.

:shrug:

I agree with doing it yourself, but only if you know what you are doing. I'm with tru_blue on this one, have someone else do it for you(a shop).