Wheel size for DE at the track -

WERM

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2001
South Jersey
Working on getting my '01 Bullitt ready for some DE at the track.... This will be the first time I've tracked the car and it is basically stock. Here's my situation.

I've got the deep dish bullitt wheels on the car now (17X9 on the front, 17X10.5 on the rear). While the car looks great, it is slow and handles relatively poorly with them due to the large amount of unsprung weight. The tires on these wheels have plenty of tread, but are 8 years old or so and rock hard, offering no traction. They need to be replaced.

I've also got the original bullitt wheels in my basement with the original tires on them. I'm pretty sure they are unusable as well due to age and wear.

So...I need to get new tires...but...i'm not sure if I'm going to track the car that often and I do like the look of the car now...This is what I'm thinking -

Put the stock wheels on the front, and put the 17x9's on the rear and get a set of tires for those as a compromise solution. Then, if I want the big tires on the back later, I just buy two tires for those wheels and shuffle things around and voila. My question in this case is would the car be balanced well handling wise, or am better off just putting the original wheels on all four corners?

As for tires, I plan on finding some moderately priced relatively sticky tires. I don't care about treadwear as I only have time to drive the car about 1,000 miles a year.

• Sponsors (?)