Where to do online shopping?

idaho66coupe

May 25, 2006
Hi all, I'm new to the forums, and just wanted to say what a great website and resource this is. Since stumbling on this site I can't seem to pull myself off the computer!:nice:

Anyways, starting to restore a 66 coupe and wanted to know what online parts stores/magazines people have had the best experience ordering with.

Thanks all!

• Sponsors (?)

CJ Pony Parts is by far the best IMHO. National is good, but in many cases is very expensive compared to other companies. I have a National Parts not far from me, but I order almost everything from CJ's. My buddy just bought parts for his 68 mustang and NPD was like $1600 + tax for the parts. CJ's was $1400 and that was after truck freight shipping. When he called CJ's they were having a 10% off sale and for $30 you can join their HERD club and save 5% off any order for 1 year. So in the end he paid around $1200 for his parts.

unrealmach1 said:
CJ Pony Parts is by far the best IMHO. National is good, but in many cases is very expensive compared to other companies. I have a National Parts not far from me, but I order almost everything from CJ's. My buddy just bought parts for his 68 mustang and NPD was like $1600 + tax for the parts. CJ's was $1400 and that was after truck freight shipping. When he called CJ's they were having a 10% off sale and for $30 you can join their HERD club and save 5% off any order for 1 year. So in the end he paid around $1200 for his parts.

I agree that National Parts Depot is more expensive, but I have found the quality of their parts much greater than some of the others I have seen. I ordered some drip rail modling from them, I accidently stepped on them and bent them moving boxes around. I ordered replacments from california mustang (they had a free shipping promotion) and they were not near as good as the ones I ordered from national parts depot. I know they mostly get their parts all from the same place, but I just think they go the extra mile to get the best quality parts they can. I order allot of parts for my 93 through CJ Pony Parts though. I have also seen allot of stories of people getting burnt by CJ in the 5.0 thread, so I guess everyone has their own experiences with the dealers.

Just my 2 cents.

StangBanger44 said:
I like mustangsunlimited as well, course they are just down the street.

Even though they are not just right down the street from me, i have always been impressed with Mustangs Unlimited. So far, all the parts i have ordered are in stock, and i always recieve the parts always have gone out the next day if not, the day of the order.:nice:

66mustang93 said:
I agree that National Parts Depot is more expensive, but I have found the quality of their parts much greater than some of the others I have seen. I ordered some drip rail modling from them, I accidently stepped on them and bent them moving boxes around. I ordered replacments from california mustang (they had a free shipping promotion) and they were not near as good as the ones I ordered from national parts depot. I know they mostly get their parts all from the same place, but I just think they go the extra mile to get the best quality parts they can. I order allot of parts for my 93 through CJ Pony Parts though. I have also seen allot of stories of people getting burnt by CJ in the 5.0 thread, so I guess everyone has their own experiences with the dealers.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree you need to watch the quality of parts you get from some of these places. I've been buying form CJ's for like 10-12 years and never had a problem. I think the quality of parts they sell are as good or even better than NPD. When I bought parts for my '68 from NPD I had issues with the quality of the stampings. I used to run a press and a factory, so I knew a little about the issue. NPD told me that was the way the parts are made and they were all that way. I made them check and found that they were not all that way.

Another vote for Mustangs Unlimited. They have a nice selection, very quick shipping, and on most things, their prices are quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else.

I ordered my painless wiring harness through them and got it for $50 - $75 cheaper than anywhere else.

Other than them, I've also delt with and liked CJ's and Missouri Mustang (not a major company, but they're on the way to my grandmother's house).

-Chelle

Also, never forget to look on ebay first. Lots of Mustang retailers sell new stuff on ebay for huge discounts. I bought my headers from CJ Pony parts thru ebay and saved a ton. I've also bought parts via ebay from Mustangs Unltd and Mustangs Plus and saved. The trick is to know what a part retails for BEFORE you bid. I've seen people pay more than retail for stuff more than once...

I prefer NPD out of everyone I have ever used. They might be a little higher than others, but they have damn near everything in-stock when you order. Many of the others do a good amount of things on special order basis, and then you are subject to availability. The one time I used CJ's, the order came in 9 different shipments, three of the items were wrong. I ordered a distributor cap for a 70 428 CJ and get one for a 76 Mustang, I ordered an air filter for the 70 Shaker, and who knows what I got, but it wasn't right, then I get a can of white paint for the interior plastic and it arrives DOA. I ordered a gas tank and was told it was every bit as good as the one form Scott Drake and made in USA, guess what, wasn't as good and certainly wasn't made in USA. Finally had to cancel the fuel lines and door panels 4 weeks after ordering. Called NPD, shipped same day, free freight.