Which 4.6L should I buy??

Na5.0HO

May 29, 2003
Michigan
Hey guys, 5.0 guy here going modular. I'm just wondering what would be my best bet.
A 96-98 GT, 96-98 Cobra, 99-04 GT, 99-01 Cobra.

I plan on running mild boost and other mild mods. Heard Cobras are harder to modd cause of 4 valve??

Also, you can get about 40hp out of a PI / cam swap on a 96 - 98 GT right??

Thanx for the help,
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

If you could car less about which look you want and your goal is to make power, then the '99-'01 Cobra would be your best bet. You heard wrong about the 4V's. Their every bit as easy to mod, but the benefits of the 4V's bigger and better breathing capabilities make them more rewarding. :nice: The '99-up Cobra's are better still because they carry an updated higher flowing head and intake than their predecessors.

You’ll get about 35hp out of a PI cam and intake swap alone on a ’96-’98 2V, but you’ll get about 50-55hp out of a full PI cam, head and intake swap. :nice:

Well, they still used powdered cracked cap rods and hypereutectic pistons, but the Cobra's come with a forged crank and aluminum block, so yes, they vary quite a bit. If the '99-up Snake is out of your price range, then a '96-'98 is your second best bet, followed by the '99-'04 GT, then the '96-'98 GT.

Bone stock, there is very little difference between the '99-'04 GT and the '96-'98 Cobra, but once the bolt-ons and forced induction start, the 2V's are quickly left in the dust.