Which wire to horn?

4cMadness

Aug 21, 2006
Since the topic is starting to change from my last post I'll start a new thread. While I was working under the hood adding the new tensioner, I must have pulled something loose, because I have a wire coming from the wiring harness in the firewall that's not connected to anything, and now my horn doesn't work (I'm guessing I unplugged the horn). I'm having trouble finding it in the haynes manual (those wiring schematics are really hard to understand) so does anyone know where it goes? There are several little black box looking items on the driver side under the hood that look likely, but I'd like to make sure first. Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

4cMadness said:
Since the topic is starting to change from my last post I'll start a new thread. While I was working under the hood adding the new tensioner, I must have pulled something loose, because I have a wire coming from the wiring harness in the firewall that's not connected to anything, and now my horn doesn't work (I'm guessing I unplugged the horn). I'm having trouble finding it in the haynes manual (those wiring schematics are really hard to understand) so does anyone know where it goes? There are several little black box looking items on the driver side under the hood that look likely, but I'd like to make sure first. Anyone?
the horn wire are behind the DS head light.....i dought you came close puting a tensioner on....a wire doesnt tell us anything if you tell us a color maybe we can help....take a test light and poke around the horn.

88stangmangt said:
the horn wire are behind the DS head light.....i dought you came close puting a tensioner on....a wire doesnt tell us anything if you tell us a color maybe we can help....take a test light and poke around the horn.

It's a black and red wire coming from a bundle of wires on the driver side. When I finished changing the timing belt and putting on the new tensioner, I had to set the timing and I think that's when I must have pulled it off (poking around trying to get to the distributor bolt). What is the DS head light? And how do I use a test light to poke around the horn? I'm not a mechanic, like I said I'm just a guy with a book and some wrenches, and the willingness to learn. Thanks !!!

i have never messed with the horns on any of my mustangs....but when you press on the horn button on the steering wheel it should send a hot sire to the horn....the horn will be self grounded to the car already...if your not geting a hot down the wire then you might have poped a fuse...next thing to do is hook your test light to a 12vhott you can get one right off the battery...then make sure your horn is geting a ground...(it should light up)