Who Makes the Best P&P Heads?

tcom

Founding Member
Feb 9, 2002
Harlan, IA
Simple Question. Many answers. I'm in the market for heads. I've got a 98 GT. (Romeo Block?). I want suggestions on Heads, Cams, and intakes. Oh, Long Tubes since Heads are comming off too. Money is only a minor issue. I want a great, solid, trouble free, mostly street machine.

THanks guys.

Derek :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

foxlake
VT (I think they are ported by fox lake)
MPH
Steen

hmmm I know I am forgeting sombody but cant' think of it.

you will also hear about patriot, TEA, some others but the ones I listed have the best rep from what I have read.

IF I were buying right now I would buy from MPH. they just seem to make big power over there. not that there is anything wrong with the others they make power as well that is just who I would pick.

you might want to post in a budget because intakes are expensive. there are only about three choices though. bullitt, foxlake p-51, Riechard racing (I would not use on a n/a street car).

as far as cams I would listen to who you buy your heads from. you inake choice would factor in as well. Off the shelve grinds are not always the best way sometimes a cutom grind can benifity depending on you overall combo.

the main cam brands are VT and comp. crower makes cams, I think crane make have them as well now. the cam should be your last choice in the combo for optimum choice.

as far as longtubes go

BBK
mac
hooker (can pull the tranny with header in place uses a slip collector. downside is people say it can be hard to seal up)
slp
KOOKS

I think I would try kooks stainless headers. not the cheapest option though.

That is some great infomration. Thanks!

As for price, I could drop 2500 or 3000 on the whole assembled heads and all the little things needed for a headswap. I might stick with the PI intake, or one that lets me use the Accufab Upper I already have. I don't want the Bullet Intake for sure. I'll be staying N/A for along time and maybe getting a roots/twin screw blower in a few years.

So What are the going rates for the other intakes you listed?

Your not going to get aftermarket heads, cams, and a PI intake for $2500, maybe $3000.

The MPH heads are roughly $2000, cams are $600, springs are $250, PI intake used maybe $100. Then gaskets, fluids, etc and labor if you are getting it done outside.

I have
patriot heads and although I have heard of supposed "quality issues" they work great. hard to beat them for the price, $1295. I cant commen on anything other than what I have. I am sure VT and MPH have a great product as they always do, but price steered me away. one thing to notice when buyinf heads is dont pay as much attention to the flow numbers at 550 lift as the valve is only at this point for a brief period as compared to low lift numbers. Alot of people say patriot doesnt flow as well as others because they look at this 550 lift number. Patriot heads were designed to flow better all around and not just under high lift. ill post more later on cams and why i chose the specs i did. i dont look at brand name as much as specs on cams

The best ported NPI heads are from Renegade Racing

The best ported PI heads is debatable. If I was looking for ported PI's either Renegade Racing or MPH

The best ported SVO seem to be Steen's.

If I was shopping I would only go with heads from these guys

Renegade Racing
MPH
Steen

I have VT st II heads and they are done nicely. I would also not have a problem buying MPH, Steen Racing or Fox-Lake. All of these come assembles with new Valves and Comp springs for between 1800-2000 dollars.
If your going to order cams at the same time then just order them from whoever you buy the heads from. They may cut you a deal.

04DarkShadowGT said:
Your not going to get aftermarket heads, cams, and a PI intake for $2500, maybe $3000.

The MPH heads are roughly $2000, cams are $600, springs are $250, PI intake used maybe $100. Then gaskets, fluids, etc and labor if you are getting it done outside.

you are actually mistaken. the MPH heads actually come with springs. so they are not needed.

heads $1950 for the stage 2.5
custom vt cams $595

I would try to negotiate a package deal with tune as well. save some coin.

I would do the labor myself if i were you. no need taking a killing on stuff that can be done with hand tools.

so heads and came will be $2545 for the aproach I would take. this is not the cheap route but IMO this will make more power.

you will have to source an intake.

THanks for all the replies!

The downside of working more to get money for the car is that reading Stang Net falls way down on the priority list. It's nice to know a place to go to get good information from people who do have some time to keep up with it all.

BTW, I do have an installer guy I work with for my installs. We're drinking buddies, so he cuts me some great deals on installing stuff.

I'll deffinately be calling Steen, VT, and MPH. I have not heard of Steen before. Are they new to the scene? How about the Patriot guys? That price does sound good if it includes springs and valves.

:SNSign:

Another vote for Fox Lake heads. Although I don't have a set myself, several members from another board I belong to run them on their engines and as a result, recommend them pretty much exclusively and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Had I not been such a cheap bastard and done my own PnP job (having the knowledge and the means doesn’t hurt either), I would probably have gone with them as well. :nice:

Definitely call Tim at MPH and get a set of P&P'd MPH heads with MPH custom grind Comp cams and springs. I would just go with a PI intake. Also, ask about valves. I'm not sure what they recommend for a N/A application.

98stangv8 said:
lol...they don't negotiate ANY package deals...lol

maybe they don't. I know back when I still wanted to stay N/A I think VT was going to give me a discount if I bought both stage II heads and cams. this was a wile ago though.

I always negotiate. I always find the deal if possible. more money I can spend elsewhere. If mph would not deal and VT would I would just have VT on my car.

hognutz said:
maybe they don't. I know back when I still wanted to stay N/A I think VT was going to give me a discount if I bought both stage II heads and cams. this was a wile ago though.

I always negotiate. I always find the deal if possible. more money I can spend elsewhere. If mph would not deal and VT would I would just have VT on my car.
:nice: