Why can't we be friends?

• Sponsors (?)

SeventyMach1 said:
Exactly .... just like .060 over is a 311.

Well guys, gimme some more credit then that! I understand the math involved, and what you need to do to get to a 306, 308, etc etc. I'm just wondering if there is markedly improved performance by doing a little more machine work. I see 306s all the time.

The reason for 306s, and correct me if I'm wrong, is to unshroud valves.... its certainly not for added displacement! So what I'm wondering, is a 308 better then a 306, if so why, or did the builder just go what the hell, might as well kick it up a notch?

Adam

Black95GTS said:
Well guys, gimme some more credit then that! I understand the math involved, and what you need to do to get to a 306, 308, etc etc. I'm just wondering if there is markedly improved performance by doing a little more machine work. I see 306s all the time.

The reason for 306s, and correct me if I'm wrong, is to unshroud valves.... its certainly not for added displacement! So what I'm wondering, is a 308 better then a 306, if so why, or did the builder just go what the hell, might as well kick it up a notch?

Adam

haha i get what u're saying. Depending on the block used, .040 might have been needed to get it straight. I guess we'll have to wait for his response. How big of gain is made by unshrouding the valves?

nmcgrawj said:
haha i get what u're saying. Depending on the block used, .040 might have been needed to get it straight. I guess we'll have to wait for his response. How big of gain is made by unshrouding the valves?

Well you unshroud the valves because when a block is cast sometimes you need to mill it internally to permit flow around the entire diameter of the valve. This is mostly beneficial along the exhaust side of things. Any kind of unshrouding, done on the heads or the block, is a "cheap" and dirty way to free up some HP.

The 306 overbore is popular amongst 302s because the setup really needs some exhaust help. (At least this is my understanding, I don't want to spread internet rumors. I don't have first hand experience here, so stop me before Grady beats me up!) If you notice alot of popular 302 off the shelf cams like TFS 1, Steeda 19, Crane's 2031, etc have exhaust bias.

I don't have any specific numbers for you, sorry! Although it would be interesting to say have a 302 dynoed, then have it done .030 over, then dynoed again...

Adam

PS - To the poster... sorry for you taking you way :OT: , the movie was a good one!