Wide Rims???

thojoewen86

Apr 13, 2004
I just bought a notch project that already has minitubs but I dont have the $ in my budget to do a 5 lug swap. Is there somewhere I can get custom 4 lug rims. Id like to get the 2k Cobra rims in 17x10.5 but I cant find them any where in 4 lug. I would like to fit a 315 tire in the back if posible. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

im just saying, to find wheels in 4 lug and over 9 inches wide, is probably gonna have to be something from CCW and its gonna cost you like 1 grand a wheel.

I just cannot hold it in I have to say it. Some people have done it and they think it looks great even though they scrub bad and can't lower the car right - meaning the front will be low but it's obvious the rear is left up higher in the rear because the rear tires stick out even more than the fronts. I have seen several fox body Mustangs with 17x9 front and 17x10 or 17x10.5s out back. It's just too wide for the car. Reality is that the optimum size tire for a 17x9 rim on a Mustang is 275/40/17. I see guys STRETCH a 245/45/17 on a 9" wide rim and it just doesn't look right and there's a possibility of the bead of the tire popping off the rim under extreme cornering not to mention the danger of scrubbing the tire at high speeds and shredding it. Unless you plan on doing a minitub - doing it the right way or more importantly the SAFE way - a 10" or wider wheel doesn't fit inside the rear fenders of a Fox Mustang. I guarantee a 315 will sit atleast 1" outside the fender lip on a fox Mustang. What is wrong with a 17x9 out back and a 17x8 out front? It looks killer and is PLENTY of meat for that car. I've seen very few cars that have the right mods done to the front suspension to make a 9" wide wheel fit properly. I am getting ready to do a 1-1.25" minitub on my notch and then I can fit a 10-10.5" rim out back just inside the rear fenders with no scrub and I can lower it 1.5-2" like planned. All I'm trying to say is if you're gonna go with ultra wide wheels and tires - don't force fit 'em - make it fit right. Atleast get a wheel with the correct offset to properly fit in the fenders. I saw a nice custom notch at the Commerce Drag Strip a couple of weeks ago with 18x9 bullitts up front and 18x10.5 bullitts in the rear. The tires were grossly stretched on the rim so they would "tuck" which they didn't and still stuck out. I walked up with a couple buddies for a close inspection and every single tire sidewall was cut or scrubbed severely and not to mention it looked like terrible with the wheels sticking out past the fenders. I started noticing a trend when the guy got out of his car and his pants were so big and baggy that he had to keep pulling them up to keep 'em on. I was noticing a trend....
Sorry for the rant but be realistic - buy equipment that fits your ride and make it driveable and safe.

J

I just cannot hold it in I have to say it. Some people have done it and they think it looks great even though they scrub bad and can't lower the car right - meaning the front will be low but it's obvious the rear is left up higher in the rear because the rear tires stick out even more than the fronts. I have seen several fox body Mustangs with 17x9 front and 17x10 or 17x10.5s out back. It's just too wide for the car. Reality is that the optimum size tire for a 17x9 rim on a Mustang is 275/40/17. I see guys STRETCH a 245/45/17 on a 9" wide rim and it just doesn't look right and there's a possibility of the bead of the tire popping off the rim under extreme cornering not to mention the danger of scrubbing the tire at high speeds and shredding it. Unless you plan on doing a minitub - doing it the right way or more importantly the SAFE way - a 10" or wider wheel doesn't fit inside the rear fenders of a Fox Mustang. I guarantee a 315 will sit atleast 1" outside the fender lip on a fox Mustang. What is wrong with a 17x9 out back and a 17x8 out front? It looks killer and is PLENTY of meat for that car. I've seen very few cars that have the right mods done to the front suspension to make a 9" wide wheel fit properly. I am getting ready to do a 1-1.25" minitub on my notch and then I can fit a 10-10.5" rim out back just inside the rear fenders with no scrub and I can lower it 1.5-2" like planned. All I'm trying to say is if you're gonna go with ultra wide wheels and tires - don't force fit 'em - make it fit right. Atleast get a wheel with the correct offset to properly fit in the fenders. I saw a nice custom notch at the Commerce Drag Strip a couple of weeks ago with 18x9 bullitts up front and 18x10.5 bullitts in the rear. The tires were grossly stretched on the rim so they would "tuck" which they didn't and still stuck out. I walked up with a couple buddies for a close inspection and every single tire sidewall was cut or scrubbed severely and not to mention it looked like terrible with the wheels sticking out past the fenders. I started noticing a trend when the guy got out of his car and his pants were so big and baggy that he had to keep pulling them up to keep 'em on. I was noticing a trend....
Sorry for the rant but be realistic - buy equipment that fits your ride and make it driveable and safe.

J

Your right it is all about getting the right often custom wheel if you go 10 or 10.5 in the back so it fits...I had to.

If he has mini tubs what is the big deal about fitting a 10 inch or wider wheel? Go for it man you should have no problems getting that ti fit. You should just put spacers on for now or get Ponys widened until you can afford 5 lug.

The car has at leat 1.5in minitubs with full coilovers. There is pleanty of room in the back I just dont know where I can get the wheels for it. I was hoping there was a website or a directory for these kinds of wheels. If a 315 will fit on a 17x9 then ill go for that but I cant imagine it would, right now it has a 285/45//17 and I cant imagine something much bigger.

well heres an idea...i didnt read much of the thread lol.....but if you can only seem to find the 2 wheels you want in 5 lug, then just grab some 5-lug ranger axles cheap and then have 5 lug on the rear, until you get the front done to match......Just an idea....cant look THAT bad...can it? I mean its true...your not gonna get "custom" 4-lug wheels any cheaper

Sorry man, I musta read right past the part where you said "minitubs". AFS sells 4 lug Cobra wheels.

www.afswheels.com

Their website seems screwed up but if you call you can get them from them. They also sell wheels on ebay a lot. You can also find them there and they will honor those prices as well if they are cheaper on ebay than their site. Sorry guys about the rant on wheel fitment but I'm so tired of seeing a nice fox ruined with wheels that don't fit - no more on that.
The 17x9 4 lugs almost fit up front even with a 245 on them. The tire looks too stretched and will still rub the fender if you lower it too much. I think however I saw a guy that had the back of the wheel face machined down a couple mills. I would have somebody who knows what they're doing look at that first to make sure there's gonna be enough "meat" for safety. Some guys pulled their LX into Mustangs Unlimited and he had the 17x9 03-04 Cobras on the car with 245s on the fronts. They had it lowered atleast 1.5" and he said yeah it rubs a little on a turn if you're going a little too fast ??? but he liked it. I followed him out onto the highway and watched it - man that front tire was all over that fender lip - no thanks.
I guess my only advise is measure, then measure again. Then again. Do your homework before you spend your hard earned cash.
As far as the 5 lug conversion, you can go the cheap route temporarily and get the kit with the 5 lug front rotors, 5 lug axles, drums, oil and bearings for about $400 too.

J