will JMC hydraulic clutch kit work with a t-five bellhousing?

steel1212

Jun 24, 2004
Frankfort, Ky
I was just looking at mustang depot's site and it has the jmc hydraulic clutch kit and it says for fox body bellhousings. I know my t-five is a 93 but I'm not sure what year my bellhousing is other than its a t-five bell.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, it will work if you don't mind spending a small fortune on a system that when it fails will leave you stranded on a trip in the middle of nowhere with no parts avialability....Sorry, not a big fan of hydraulic clutches.

Ronstang said:
Yeah, it will work if you don't mind spending a small fortune on a system that when it fails will leave you stranded on a trip in the middle of nowhere with no parts avialability....Sorry, not a big fan of hydraulic clutches.

Did you have a negative experience with a hydraulic set-up? No reason why it shouldn't perform as long as it is set up properly.

Of course I say this because I purchased the JMC kit for my car, however I am using a hydraulic T.O. bearing instead of the slave unit.

Ron, I appreciate all the info you have given me...as well as the brutal honest replies. I really don't have a choice though as my headers will not let me use the cable.

dolfan, do you think the throw out bearing is a better option than the slave?

You have a decision to make. The internal hydraulic TO bearing could leak which would make a mess of your clutch disc since it is inside the bellhousing. On the other hand, it is difficult to find a slave that has the travel that is required to fully engage the clutch (I have failed at this a few times). Also, if you have a failure the slave is easier to replace on the side of the road. Yet again, the slave is very close to the headers and can make the fluid boil.

I am planning to go with the internal TO bearing, and keep a spare in the trunk in case of failure. Yes, I will have to drop the tranny upon failure, but at least I know what I am up against. I am planning to disassemble, inspect, replace seals, etc. every 5-10K miles or so as an extra measure of security. Overkill, but what the heck.

You can go direct to JMC if you wish. They also have a very cool triple MC setup for brakes, with bias, including the clutch MC that bolts up to the stock MC hole in the Mustang. It is similar to the one on the link that has two MCs. That is the one I am going with.

I would recommend a McLeod, self adjusting, bolt on hydraulic throwout bearing. Just make sure you get a 2nd generation version (the ones with AN swivel fittings not banjo swivels). Keep in mind you will have to make a pedal stop if you go with a hyd bearing.

I'm running the JMC master/slave setup. Had it for a year now, with zero problems, and no adjustments needed. Very easy to set up & trouble-free in use... Cost was under $400. :nice: The cylinders are CNC brand, which a lot of the local circle-trackers use. And then, there's always next day air... :rolleyes:

I'm not particularly worried about being stranded. I'm running Wilwood brakes, Pertronix II ignition, a Lincoln Versailles rear, and many other "leave you stranded" parts - all on a 40 year old car that O'Reilly doesn't stock a whole lot of stuff for anyway... :shrug:

Heck, I'm even considering removing the spare tire for anything other than long trips. Haven't changed a spare in probably 15 years........... :shrug:

You guys have got to be tired of repeating youselves :D I just wanted to know if the bellhousing would work. I'm going to try the jmc kit and if it doesn't work so be it...I have a cell phone and I don't plan on going on any long road trips until I work all the little gremlins out of EVERYTHING anyway.

BUT thanks for all the help as usual.