will this tranny work

Discussion in '2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech' started by 93PONY, Aug 22, 2006.

1. 93PONY

93PONY Founding Member

will the auto transmission from my 93 2.3 mustang work with my turbo swap. so far i have a engine harness from a capri, and a turbocoupe ecu # EEC-IV, PK1, EFI-TC5, E5ZF-12A650-K3B for an automatic, and i am about to get a motor from an 86 turbocoupe. will my transmission work or will i need an older one. i dont need the overdrive, i never use it so that is not a concern.

josh
  2. rd

rd Founding Member

I got into this swapping A4LD's on my 89 2.3 LX. It has a 2 solenoid trans valvebody, and apparently the 91 or 92 and up have a 3 solenoid valvebody, so you need the puter that is made to run the type of trans you install.

The two are overdrive control and torque converter lock control. Cant remember what the third one does.

I would guess that the 87-88 TC's had the 2 solenoid units.

Someone on here said they tied two of the wires together and got one to work (a 3 valve with a 2 valve control), but it did not have od.

I would try to get a matching trans, so that it would all work They should be easy to find.
  3. white1989

white1989 New Member

You need an LB3 ECU. Your trans will work fine as it is a 3 wire 2 solenoid trans. Bhuff did the early A4LD wire up.
  4. mg man

mg man Member

I agree with white 1989 . I got a Pk1 to go in my mgb 2.3 turbo I don't remember a Trans wire. It cam out of a c-3 automatic cougar. Good luck