Wiper arm help...

Swede958

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Austin, TX
Hey guys, I have a question for y'all, specifically the '69-'70 owners. On my '70 the driver side wiper arm moves in such a way that the top 1.5" or so will contact the windshield trim, like it is too long. My wipers have two different mounting patterns... one has the wiper attached under the arm, the other has the wiper attached above the arm with a pin through it. The driver side arm is 17.5" long and has a 15.5" blade on it, this one is the wiper attached with the pin. The passenger side is 15" long with a 14.5" blade, this one is has the wiper mounted under the blade. I'm pretty sure the driver side was replaced... just wanna make sure it was either the entire arm, or just the blade part. Can anyone tell me which one is right, and know off hand if the parts houses might carry them? Or do I have to pull it off of a junk-stang?

Also, what's everyone's oppinions on 'camoflaged' blades? What I mean is either blades that have been painted body color or black to kind of stay out of sight. I thought about doing this, as it would look 'custom' so to speak and I could run better wipers that the simple replacements without ruining the chrome scheme on them.

Thanks a lot,
The Swede

• Sponsors (?)

First make sure you're using the right wipers & blades and that they're installed on the correct side. If that checks out. try taking the wiper arm off and set it back a notch (the notches are on the mounting post). It will be lower in the stop position, and not go so high up on the window when running... keep moving a notch at a time until you have it right. I hope this helps, as your post confused me..

Don't paint, leave that to civic owners...

Thanks Gaponyfarm, yeah, sorry about the confusing post.

Cliff Notes: Driver side wiper doesn't fit right, is it the right one or one someone swapped in there. It mounts the blade with a pin through it, instead of under the arm like on the passenger side.

The Swede

Swede, My 70 has 14 inch arms that are measured from the end to the outer point of the round end.
the stock blades were 16 inch, But I changed them to 18 inch.
Because I sit higher in the seat and it was leaving too much unwiped.
It will wipe the window to just below the roof top chrome now. :nice:

The arms have a flat end that requires the blades to have the adapter to hold them.
Hope this helps, or email me and I will send you a pic. :D

PB