Wiring question

yamie700

Aug 27, 2003
MN
Sorry if this is dumb but I am getting ready to ditch the entire Mach 460 system and need some advise. I have a JVC head unit that is like 45w x4 max power and a 4 channel Kenwood amp that is like 35w x4 rms. My question is when I wire my 4 new speakers should I just run power from the amp or should I use the amp + the head units power. Basically should I just let the head units power do nothing?

I will be using 2 Infinity Kappa 5x7 and 2 Cerwin Vega 5x7. I hope that I did not wreck the Cerwin Vegas as I installed them for a short time with the stock system before I knew the ohms were way off witht the 460. What is a good way to check and see if they are ok?

• Sponsors (?)

First off your cerwin vegas are fine, secondly I would just use the 4 channel amp, and not wire any speakers to the head unit. The head unit you bought is probably somewhere around 23 watts rms per channel, and the 4 channel you have is 35 watts rms, so go with the four channel. As for bridging the amp like KAILUAZ suggested, I wouldnt. From my experience, when you run one set of speakers from the head unit, and one set from a seperate amp, you tend to get a little echo effect because not all the speakers are going off at the right time. It could be a matter of less than a 1/2 a second, but you will notice it and you will probably not like it. So either way you go, I would avoid bridging the amp, just my opinion.