Would You Rebuild It?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys. I plan on leaving it mostly stock for now, unless I an find some GT40 heads and intake for cheap. I don't want to have to mess with tuning it while Im also messing with getting a new engine in a new car to work right. I definitely plan on doing a full H/C/I down the road though. I just want to make sure Ive got all the bugs out. I figure Ill have to pull the engine in and out a few times to get clearance issues fixed, so I should be pretty good at pulling it when its all said and done. Lol

I never ever drop a used engine in a car without popping the pan and inspecting the bearings. I've seen plenty of good running engines with bearings that needed to be replaced. Once you have copper showing, it's only a matter of time until it spins or ruins the crank or both... so it's silly to NOT check it for the price of an oil pan gasket. If the bearings look good, button it up, maybe change out the oil pump and water pump and rock on. If the bearings look tired, it may be time for a rebuild while the engine is out.
@Boosted92LX is NOT wrong here.

While I have frequently done less to check used engines when installing them over the years (difference between a shop environment, where you can file a labor claim if something goes wrong with the salvaged engine and get paid twice and be out nothing for the parts; and your home mechanic, who doesn't have such luxuries), if you're doing this for your project, definitely spend the money on an oil pan gasket and give the bottom end a look.

Last edited:
How does the Miata handle with the added weight of a v8 swap? I suspect not as good compared to its own power plant setup?

It only adds 150-200 lbs believe it or not. It changes the 50/50 weight distribution to 51/49 from what Ive seen. And I plan on doing aluminum heads eventually. Shooting for a sub 2500lb car with 350 to the wheels when its all said and done.

Reactions: 2 users
I would think there is a market for those, get'n kinda hard to find
What state you in? Never mind, Louisiana ain't that far, it wasen't floating was it?
Nope, no flooding. I live right where a good bit of the flooding happened. But the car was in NOLA. Started it up today just to hear it and it sounds strong. The radiator leaks and the coolant is straight rust colored though. How would I clean all of that off if I were to just do the gaskets and leave the bottom end alone?

LMK if you're interested in the car. Ill want to get rid of it for pretty cheap once I get everything i need from it.