Wow. New Guy With A Question About Convertible Top

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by relli, May 28, 2012.

1. newbie here. wife has an 04 convertible. her top started acting erratic so i topped off her fluid (with the top in the down position) and bled it off (by raising and lowering the top multiple times). but we notice theres a lag in operation. you have to hold the button down for a count of 5 to 7 before the top starts to move but it works fine after that. any ideas? thanks relli

2. How is the top on that run? I'm assuming some sort of hydraulic system since you mentioned bleeding it, but is there a pump that runs it or something that could be bad or not connected right?

That's the best I have for you, I don't have a vert so I don't know them all that well.

3. yeah. hydraulic. thanks

4. well see if you can find some sort of motor or pump that runs the system, a worn out pump could be the problem. I could be wrong though, I'm not a vert expert. or any other kind of expert really haha

5. I recently had similar problem with my wife's 2000 Mustang. Behind the back seat is the pump that operates the top, (but I assume you found that). After adding fluid to the pump, operating it several times, I would add little more fluid until it operated as it should. It took a few times to get it right.

6. Sounds like there could maybe be a small leak somewhere in the system, or just a bad pump. Those are my best guesses, I can't think of any other cause.