X-pipe questions on 4V

1wildGT

Founding Member
Jun 4, 2001
Abilene TX
Are Pypes catted X-pipes any good, they are $250 compared to double that for Magnaflow of Bassani catted X pipes. I want to buy catted X pipes for my 98 cobra (2 chamber flowmaster 40's) and 03 Cobra (Magnaflow CB). My choices are Bassani, Bassani BX (aluminized), Magnaflow, or Pypes. Pypes is the only CARB certified catted X, so that is a plus to me.

1. Are most Bassani guys running the stainless (more $) or aluminized (BX) versions?

2. Is the Pypes X any good? Any 4V guys running it?

3. Any problems with blowing cats on the aftermarket X pipes?

• Sponsors (?)

The early Bassani's had problems with the cats blowing out, but that problem seems to have been rectified in later production runs. Whether you choose to use the aluminized or stainless steel is up to you. The stainless will last longer and resist corrosion better of course. Most of the high HP Cobra guys who need a catted X pipe run the Magnaflows though. They seem to hold up better and are known for having very resilient cats. I've heard of the Pypes brand before, but have not heard and thing good or bad about them. I'm sure this is because they are not widely in use.

U.M.