Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, wasnt trying to dog on your creation, Mike. I certainly think its friggin awesome what youve been able to build, as I wouldnt attempted anything past having to glue the plate on the side of the block. I think my reservations come from having so many other things in my life taking up my time, I just dont have the ability to go back and do much again to get it right. Carry on with yo bad self!

PS, congrats on "fixing" the dash rattle. That would single handedly push me to sell a vehicle!

• Sponsors (?)

You definitely took the hard road to creating a flying car.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, wasnt trying to dog on your creation, Mike. I certainly think its friggin awesome what youve been able to build, as I wouldnt attempted anything past having to glue the plate on the side of the block. I think my reservations come from having so many other things in my life taking up my time, I just dont have the ability to go back and do much again to get it right. Carry on with yo bad self!

PS, congrats on "fixing" the dash rattle. That would single handedly push me to sell a vehicle!

And I didn't think you were.

There is always two versions of reality with regard to my situations.

The first " alarmist" version always assumes the worst....is convinced that the world is ending, and I just got a " No Vacancy" on the last space ship off of Earth.

The second version is more of a realist. It's this version where I typically realize that the reason the car doesn't have oil pressure, isn't because there's no oil pressure,.......it's because the gauge that monitors the oil pressure is a flaming piece of sht.

Reactions: 1 users

If you've ever been in the Army, the first part of this "story" may ring familiar to you...For those that have never had the "pleasure", this may help to enlighten you a little.

When you went into the USARMY in 1985, they held you in a purgatory for the first week. That first week was an assessment week. They use it to determine your physical fitness as a baseline, they get you put into the "system", they use it as a soft buffer before the actual start of Basic training.

During that time, you learned about military etiquette. You learned about how to address a NCO, how to start to become a soldier.

If you smoked, you had to ask permission..it typically went something like " Sergeant Martinez!.....Pvt. Schmoe requests permission to smoke.!"

If it was appropriate,..the request was granted,...Pvt Schmoe got to light up.

After week 1, we get herded into cattle cars, pulled by your standard issue diesel tractor,....Each cattle car had about what I'd guess to be 50 men,..jammed tightly together with all of your new military issue, stuffed into your green, canvas, standard issue military duffle bag. 50 scared looking young men,..and about 5-7 really scary looking Drill sergeants.

The ride took about 10 minutes to get from purgatory to the future hell we'd come to know as basic training.

During that ride,..a young inner city black kid ( Pvt. Pearson) decides that now would be an appropriate time to request permission to smoke. He has to yell out the request.

" DRILL SERGEANT!!! Pvt. PEARSON REQUESTS PERMISSION TO SMOKE!!!"

All I remember was that the scariest of all of the a Drill sergeants answers Pvt Pearson...his name was Harris.

Drill sergeant Harris says to Pvt Pearson....." Smoke?...Oh you're gonna smoke...in about 5 goddamned minutes"

And when we got to hell,..the DS's gave us exactly 30 seconds to get off of their cattle cars, reminding us that 25 of those seconds were already gone. They lined us up in formation, and then proceeded to absolutely dog each one of us by forcing endless push ups until nobody could do anything except lie exhausted on their faces.

Except Pvt Pearson...Harris took a special interest in Pvt. Pearson. He made sure that Pvt Pearson completely understood that for the next 8 weeks, the only smoke he was ever gonna see was the kind that would be coming off of his ass.

Tonight I took the car to the last cruise-in of the season...not far from my house. I sat around in my lawn chair in front of the car, told the same stories over and over for a couple of hours, and headed back home...when I turned onto my street, I thought it ironic that I had never actually jabbed the throttle off idle in this car...everything I've done in the past was done from a slow roll.

So I figured what the hell,..5 blocks from the house,..a deserted 1/4 Mile frontage road leading into my neighborhood,....what a better time to try that out.

Like I've said,...one day the car is a problem,...the next time it's freakin amazing..

The tires blaze through 3rd gear until I have to lift in 3rd when I hear the old familiar rattle..And for the first time since I've had this car,..I get inundated with Smoke....

Tire smoke. it's thick in the car..reminiscent of a static burnout.

All I could think of was poor old stupid Pvt Pearson....

Drill sergeant Matkosky! Pvt 315 Sumitomo's requests permission to smoke!!!!

To which I replied....Smoke?,....Oh you're gonna smoke....;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I think you should start a youtube show. You're 10 times funnier than Richard Rawlings and probably would be better than Frieburger and Finnegan. Stangnet Garage starring bionic kneed Mike Matkosky.

"Today's new episode 33 is about pulling off the (insert part here) that you saw me remove and fix back in episode 24 and also in episode 21, 14, and 7. But TODAY, is the day I fix it for real!"

I know feeling when it is running well and you get that burnout. I miss that feeling. Hopefully I'll get some time soon and get out in the garage and solder 1000 wires and get my junk running.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should start a youtube show. You're 10 times funnier than Richard Rawlings and probably would be better than Frieburger and Finnegan. Stangnet Garage starring bionic kneed Mike Matkosky.

"Today's new episode 33 is about pulling off the (insert part here) that you saw me remove and fix back in episode 24 and also in episode 21, 14, and 7. But TODAY, is the day I fix it for real!"

I know feeling when it is running well and you get that burnout. I miss that feeling. Hopefully I'll get some time soon and get out in the garage and solder 1000 wires and get my junk running.
I tried that, but he insisted on wearing that box on his head.

Reactions: 1 user
I see that the mice are playing in my thread again....

Today Im pissing off drag racers.

See this thing?
upload_2017-10-22_14-14-7.png

Its a Co2 bottle. Intended for all kinds of pressure activated crap on your average drag car. Stuff like shifters, throttle stops, and just about anything you can think of that could benefit from a shot of high pressure compressed air.

I have two of them. I used them on my orange and black 86 drag car to apply pressure to the dome of my wastegate to allow for sequential increasing boost control back in the days when it was not as easy as it is today. ( That'd be like 2006, when I thought I was gonna be a big time X275 drag radial HU racer):rolleyes:

Last night when I went to the cruise in, I opened my hood when I got there only to find that antifreeze had shot all over the engine. Now that I have the engine getting hot, sometimes there is a temp spike (temp goes to like 220 for a few seconds)
Evidently,...one of my temp spikes got my radiator cap all hot and bothered, and it blew a load of green Jiz all over my intake manifold.

No,....I did not have a catch can... AND No, I didn't even have as much as a piece of rubber hose diverting that possible eruption to the ground.

So I had green jiz on my engine istead.

This morning, I decided to correct that. To fix that meant that I needed a long skinny aluminum bottle.

Something like this:
image.jpeg

These things have been banging around in one of my spare tool box drawers for over 10 years now,...it's time I put one of them to good use.

I had to cut the top off, (it was too tall), tap the hole for pipe thread, and drill a drain hole, and a small vent hole on top to allow the thing to accept the overflow should it happen.

Now the bottle looks like this:
image.jpeg
Soo much better than before when it was just a "What the hell is that clanking noise?" when I opened that drawer.

Probably coulda sold those things for 50 bucks ea. .. 100 bucks just laying in a drawer for ten years.
At the same time a nice polished tube style overflow catch can probably costs 100 bucks....and I still woulda had to modify the thing to fit where I wanted it to go.

Im saying win.

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.