1999 GT Fuel Gauge Erroneously reading Empty

erniek70

Aug 12, 2016
Ok, I have been reading several threads...and I still need help. I have a '99 GT, stick, and suddenly the gauge is falsely reading empty, and the low fuel light is on. It appears, the '99 does NOT have an anti-slosh module? It is built in to the cluster? I recently, coincidentally, had a pump failure, as well. With the new pump installed, the gauge is still reading empty. HELP!

• Sponsors (?)

Did you check the float when you had the pump assembly out. I have had floats develop cracks, fill with fuel, sink, and the gauge always reads empty.

Was the gauge doing this before you replaced the pump?
It had not been doing it UNTIL this past Saturday, when the pump died on me. Was in the garage, and got the car started....oddly, gauge read me. And low fuel light on. I NEVER winter store a car without a full tank. Went to gas station, could only add less than a gallon, and gauge still showed e, and warning light on...driving home, then had a complete fuel pump failure.

Replaced with new pump cage (including sending unit)....and gaige still shows E.

If you read my original post, the cluster is receiving a signal that the tank is full (255 ohms - displayed through LED diagnostic/odometer screen)...but gauge still shows E. So sending unit is performing properly, and signal makes it to the cluster (so not a chassis wiring issue)....it is just the gauge and warning light not working.

Going through the gauge diagnostic process, the fuel gauge makes the full sweep properly, also.

Ok, my sender is working fine....~160 ohms full, ~16 empty (measured at sender). Gauge reads empty, low fuel light on...fuel diagnostic, in odo display, shows 255 ohms (full tank). Display changes as sending iunit arm sweeps. Recently had a complete pump failure....with new pump/sender ass'y, gauge still shows incorrectly. Do I just need to get some miles on it, and the gauge will read correctly eventually?