2.3 wont start..............

mustangman70

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
St pete, Florida
Allright guys this is my girlfriends car, its a 1993 hatchback she has had it for about a month and now its having problems, It has fuel i know that, but here are my assumptions and problems, the car runs GREAT, starts up and will run for ever lol, but if you shut it off, it wont start again, allmost untill the car cools down. And it has even shut off while driving, now it tries to crank, and it is getting fuel, i havent checked it for spark yet, but i would assume it isnt the spark, because sometimes if i disconnect the battery, and reconnect it it will fire RIGHT up. So what could be causing this :shrug: Also is it normal for the key in the "on" position to make the fuel pump run and KEEP running even without starting the car :shrug: im thinking this is the problem and the mechanic said this is probbly the fuel pump relay??? but i cant find it :( Some one said its under the seat :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i'm gonna go with TFI module on the dizzy, this is a known problem with the module, ford has issued a recall on cars under a 100k to replace the tfi or reimburse for repl.

This only happends after you've been driving for a while and engine is at running temp?

when cold it will fire right up?

I'm gonna say its the starter because we've got an 86 merkur 2.3 turbo that started cold, but never started after it ran a while. I recently got a starter installed and now it'll start anytime. But its odd how you can disconnect the battery and make it start.