2000 gt

Do all 2000 GTs come with Trac Control ?. My Gt has it and i am going to do a junk yard search for a complete 8.8 rear end. If i find one without TC will i get a TC light all the time. Are all 1999- 2004 GT rear ends set up for TC ?. The axle has a ring on it right ?
Thanks. Sure wish somebody in my area so cal wanted a 4.88 rear end to just do a complete swap.

• Sponsors (?)

Do all 2000 GTs come with Trac Control ?
No. It's a factory option.
My Gt has it and i am going to do a junk yard search for a complete 8.8 rear end. If i find one without TC will i get a TC light all the time.
If your car has traction control it also has ABS brakes. If your car has ABS brakes and the rear end is replaced with a rear end without the ABS rings this will give an constant ABS error.

You are aware that the half shaft axles can be swapped from the original to the new right?

Why aren't you looking to rebuild the rear end that you have using a stock ring and pinion.

Knowing what I know now I doubt I would put a salvage yard rear end into a new car without rebuilding first. The kit is not that $$. It's much easier to do when on the bench.

Try this. Go to car-part.com and search for the part in question. This will give you an idea about how available the part is and some sample prices.

In my area it costs around 800-1,000 for a shop to do the job. I am a retired auto mechanic but i sold most of my tools and it takes tools to do this job . At 71 years old the body does not like to crawl around under a car. i never liked setting up rear ends even when i was young. Now if it was a 9 inch with a removable center section i would still do it.

Reactions: 1 user
$800-$1000 to swap gears only is kinda high unless you need a rebuild. A few years back a shop in Mission Viejo did it for under $500, hoping inflation hasn't hit this high now.

Perhaps also consider splitting the difference. IE you remove the whole rear end from the car and have it bench rebuilt.

I can tell you from personal experience that it's way easier to rebuild the rear end when it's off of the car and on axle stands. Likely this will also reflect in the cost of the professional work.

How's your experience with 4.88's? That's an awful low rear end.

4.88 gears suck,it does not help that i have low profile tires. Pretty much 60-65 mph is my normal drive speed.
I just found a 2000 GT rear end at pic a part. the car has front end damage but the back is normal. The wheels turned smooth. I bought the rear end complete 184 dollars with tax. 3.27 , no leaks and the posi is working. Now i need a day and a extra body to swap it out. I sure hope i do not have a problem removing my Trac Control sensors, i have herd they can be very hard to remove without breaking them. I for sure will soak them with penetrating oil. Our dry CA climate is pretty resistant to corrosion. Most bolts and nuts come right off even on a 18 year old car.

i have herd they can be very hard to remove without breaking them. I for sure will soak them with penetrating oil.
Yes the ABS tone rings can be very difficult to remove. Almost impossible without a press. If this were my car I would either swap axles from the original car. Or purchase NEW tone rings to be pressed onto the new axles.

If you are hell bent on swapping the tone rings, then use heat to expand the rings before attempting to press off.

Good luck.

no no the rear end i bought has traction control rings and sensors, all i have to do is be careful removing the sensors before i drop out my old rear end. I have herd the plastic sensors sometimes will not come out. The rear end i bought has cut sensor wires so no good.

Got lucky found a 2000 GT at pic a part. 3.27 trac lock. Still was intact with wheels on it. Took me 2 hrs to get it out. 184 bucks including tax & core charge.Did the swap in 4 hrs . Dam i am happy, changed the car for the better. No leaks or noise. The car i got the rear end out of was only their two days.
Put the 4.88 rear end complete on craigs list for 275 including the custom diff cover needed with 4.88 gears. So far no offers.
Now to get my speedo flashed back to 3.27 gears. I have not found any control box so i guess it had a re flash . It was dead on with the 4.88s.