2nd gear grind / 2000 Mustang GT

Hi I recently purchased a 2000 Mustang GT / 5 speed manual and had a question , The car runs awesome but If I try to shift from 1st to 2nd fairly quickly it likes to grind when going into 2nd gear a lot of the time, even when I know I'm pushing the clutch in all the way (When driving the car normally It doesn't happen), Is this a possible issue with the transmission? The car has 59,100 miles on it. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

bad synchro

Hm yea had a feeling there , Guess its a good thing I bought the 3 year extended warranty from Carmax. it says the transmission and all internal parts are covered by it.

I had one more question ..sometimes when I downshift into 1st or when just putting the car in gear ill hear a "Thump" or "Thud" sound coming from the floorboard, Any idea what that is? Thanks in advance :nice:

Hm yea had a feeling there , Guess its a good thing I bought the 3 year extended warranty from Carmax. it says the transmission and all internal parts are covered by it.

I had one more question ..sometimes when I downshift into 1st or when just putting the car in gear ill hear a "Thump" or "Thud" sound coming from the floorboard, Any idea what that is? Thanks in advance :nice:

The clutch might not be engaging fully. That would cause the transmission to grind. You could also try new synthetic tranny fluid. Chances are you still have the old tranny fluid in there. Time for a change anyway. See what happens after the new fluid :nice:

Try the classic clutch test.

Put the car in neutral, and let out on the clutch. Wait a sec or two, then press the clutch and count to 7 as in 1-mississippi, 2-mississippi, etc. When you finish 7, quickly shift into reverse. Did it grind? If so, the clutch is dragging. If not, the clutch is releasing properly and the tranny spins down as it should. If it doesn't release properly, it needs adjustment or replacement. If it does, you have a worn synchronizer and it should be CARMAX's problem.

Put the car in neutral, and let out on the clutch. Wait a sec or two, then press the clutch and count to 7 as in 1-mississippi, 2-mississippi, etc. When you finish 7, quickly shift into reverse. Did it grind? If so, the clutch is dragging. If not, the clutch is releasing properly and the tranny spins down as it should. If it doesn't release properly, it needs adjustment or replacement. If it does, you have a worn synchronizer and it should be CARMAX's problem.

Hm thats not to promising , this morning I started it up with the car in neutral, pushed in the clutch and turned on the radio / adjusted volume, then went to put it in reverse and it did grind, Just my luck... Im guessing clutch work will be expensive? :(

EDIT: I just realised the car is fully covered for the first 30 days so guess I should give carmax a call