66 and a turbo

• Sponsors (?)

i have seen a few, but there is not a lot of room to plumb the system. reverse the stock exhaust manifolds, set the turbos down low with the inlets facing out. run a banjo style turbine outlet to save space, then run the exhaust pipes under the car out back. use a paxton carb pressure box with dual inlets, and a pressure referenced fuel pump. i would use a 750 cfm carb so you have plenty of airflow capacity.

I have a blow-through set-up I'm running now on a 68 FB, but it's boosted by a centrifugal supercharger, not a turbocharger.
I've put together 4 vintage mustangs now and with about the same system, and there were many things found out along the way, such as carbs, blower brackets, fuel systems, bonnets, etc.
I would be glad to provide any info I can to questions you might have.

if your going to go with a blow through set up, I think the gale banks pressurised enclosure is about the best on the market.I see alot of people running them on classics. You can get the enclosure in single port or dual port confegurations. What turbos do you plan to use on you car?

Yeah i know turbomustangs.. they are somewhat affiliated with the club im in azmustangs.com.....

Not sure what turbo's yet.. I have a friend with Duffe motorsports that is going to help me along the way.. just trying to see if anyone has any pics or advice.. I was at a toss up between supercharger and a turbo. I love the sound of the blower whine.. but I like the feeling of a turbo better

This went into a '67-'68. I know it is a little different. He used fox shorties facing forward.

Attachments

• dsengstandMA7387549-0002.jpg
    dsengstandMA7387549-0002.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 156
The shorties work well, but they will not perform as well as a cast iron trubo manifold. That link with the mustang with the custom intake is a nice car but he did not opt for an intercooler. I wonder what his EGT'S are? Im sure they stay pretty hot. I would not even think about running one turbo with out an intercooler yet alone two turbos. The article did not get that in depth with his set up. I didnt even see a pyro inside there. If I was going to spend all that money you better bealive I would have at least one pyro in that car, preferable two, one on the down pipe and one pre turbo. Running with out monitering your set up is a one way ticket to a piston melt down for sure.

There is an awic on top of the carb. It is a Banks offshore model. EGT's do go up as a/f ratio goes up, but there are other variables that can cause the same thing. Wideband O2 seems the way to go.