66 transmission ring gear

• Sponsors (?)

ruprket said:
Does replacing the ring gear on a 1966 289 envolve removing the transmission completly or is there a trick like pushing the tranny back from the engine and getting the flexplate out? any help would be appreciated

During an emergency (I was getting ready to go to a Mustang show) I had to change the flexplate and decide to just back it out of the way a few inches to do the work. I managed to get it done, and in time, but I would have saved my knuckles and about an hour, if I had just dropped the tranny. Its just easier to get it completely out of the way... Take this advise! You won't regret it!

thanks for the advise guys :D ... I found a flex plate and ring gear assembly for 33.00 so I just bought that, turns out the ring gear is welded onto the flex plate so that would have turned out to be a big hassle. I'm going to drop the tranny like you said gafarmpony. :bang: Hopefully this will solve the problem I have had with tearing up 2 starters in the last 3 months. pretty sure it should because the ring gear is missing 1/2 of 12 teeth in a row. :bang: